Skip to content
Training Wheels
mrswhitecastle posted:
We bought DD a new bike over the weekend. I was wondering when you started teaching your DC to ride without training wheels. Did you decide DC was old enough, or did DC just seem "ready"? Also, any tips on how to teach them would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!

katieb426 responded:
That's a great question and I'll be interested to see what everyone's responses are.

Ella (6 1/2) was off training wheels last summer. We live in a cu-de-sac, so DH is the one that taught her on our street. I remember him running a lot- lol!

Owen (5 1/2) is still on training wheels. I think we will work on getting him off this summer, but he is much more cautious and fearful, so it probably won't be as easy or quick. We will probably put him on the smaller bike (12 inch) at first to build his confidence and then I hope he'll be able to ride his "bigger" (16 inch) bike without training wheels.

We ride our bikes A LOT in the summer. Connor (3 1/2) is now out of the bike trailer and riding with training wheels. So it's just part of our nature to be on the bikes as much as possible.

OneAndDone responded:
My DS was 4.5 when he finally learned. DH had been working with him for about 6 months. We also live on a cul-de-sac and group bike rides in the circle are frequent. DS is very physically cautious, and DH didn't want to scare him off bikes altogether, so he took it slowly. The final incentive was a spiffy almost-new bike with no training wheels (I get bikes at consignment sales). A neighbor's child, same age as my son, started riding his bike with no training wheels at 3.5 (he is physically fearless). DH spent a LOT of time with DS during the training. Neighbor child made the transition quickly because it was his decision, my DS was much slower I think because it was more DH's decision, but he was SO proud of himself when he got it, now he can keep up with the neighbor kids!

andprice responded:
It totally depends on the kid. We let our kids keep their training wheels for about a year before taking them off. I think it's fine to let it be their idea. There's really no reason to push them (unless they outgrow the bike). When they see other kids riding without training wheels, that's often good motivation. Or getting a bigger bike because they outgrew the old one is another great way to get rid of the training wheels. The fearless kids will have the wrench out and take their own t-wheels off. Others need a teensy bit of coaxing (but not pushing). Mine wanted his off, but wanted them back on again after about an hour. lol It was kind of a process, but he got it, eventually.

Something that helped my older son is a driveway that is slanted. He would start at the top, and use gravity to get going. Once he had the whole pedaling/balance thing down, it was only a day or two before he figured out how to start out on a flat surface.

Overall, this is a dad's job. Leave it to him to decide when it's time. Dads need to have some jobs all to themselves. Starting with cooking on the grill and teaching a kid to ride a bike. lol

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually EOBP (early on-set bipo...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.