Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
iPad and Allowances
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
My 11 yo is coveting an ipad in the worst sort of way. She is scheming how she can get her father to get her one. She wants to try the "advance on allowance" approach. I doubt she will get far with that sort of amount. But, I never can tell. (Her father and I are divorced and while we talk about a lot of things-I doubt this is an area I even want to touch.)

Just what she needs-another gadget. But, a more interesting question is--do you have any restrictions on what children can buy with their allowances?

kc_94920 responded:
We don't do a regular allowance yet as my oldest is only 7 but both her and her 5 year old brother earn money for doing odd chores or helping me and get money from relatives and the tooth fairy.

To answer your question, I don't tell them what they can or cannot spend their money on but do remind them how long it takes to save up money. I also ask that they think for a few days before making a purchase and make sure that there is always something left in their "bank" as savings. Mine are younger and don't fully understand how much money a iPad would be but learned early on that waiting until Christmas or a birthdays was the best thing to do for more expensive things (for them that's things like big Lego sets and Nintendo DS/games).

DH and I have discussed that when we do begin a routine allowance we will continue to allow them to purchase what they want but institute the rule that they must also save a percentage of each "paycheck".

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually EOBP (early on-set bipo...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.