Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Spring Outdoor Fun?
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello parents!

I have 2 granddaughters and would like to them outside more. Any suggestions to games or activities?

Raelynn831 responded:
I don't know how old they are but these are some that my 10 yo likes.

Croquet, water fights (water guns are less messy than water balloons, if you have no objection to water guns), you can get an inexpensive volleyball net and ball with badmittan (sp?) set included, roller blading, let them put on a gymnastics show (cartwheels, roundoffs, let them just show you what they can do), we pick berries when we are in the country with the plan to make a pie (don't know if you are city or country), go to the park, play baseball, football, check with your local churches and other organizations to see if they are having any events on certain days (often they have stuff on weekends that is great outdoors fun for the kids), jump rope, my daughter and I have jump rope races, if you know someone with horses, horseback riding, petting zoos are great too-ours had animals, picnic areas, horseback riding, sand hills, my kids didn't want to leave... Ummm, lets see... Some places have art shows outside with stuff for kids to do... Some times the city you live in will have kids festivals-ours had rock climbing, face painting, water fountains for the kids to play in, magic shows... Thats about all I can think of, hope it helps...

(If your anything like me your on a budget, the festivals and shows for kids are often free, if your city has a website you can see what all they have going on..)

katieb426 responded:
Seems like there are all sorts of spring activities at the museums around here. Our local historical farm is currently having "Baby Animal Days". All the kids love that one.

We ride our bikes a lot (weather permitting). We will ride to the park, library, or just ride around the neighborhood. We also live i a cul-de-sac, so the kids can ride around the street with me watching.

We are starting our garden, so the kids like helping with that.

We pretty much play outside whenever the weather is warm. Inside we color, bake, read, play piano, etc.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
My granddaughters are 7 and 10. I normally purchase a few outdoor type games. It just seems they have more energy this year. Thank you for the ideas, I sure will use them

We live in a major city so horseback ridding is a rare treat for my grands.

fcl responded:
Have they got their bit of garden? Maybe plant things that are easy and grow fast - lettuce, scallions, tomatos ...

I'm out in the country and we go wild asparagus hunting in the fields around us every weekend! There are always "wild" foodstuffs you can harvest depending on where you live and what your climate is like.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to fcl's response:
That is a good idea! My oldest grand has shown an interest in growing flowers. I can buy some pots and let them begin. I also will look for information about how to grow tomatoes.

fcl replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
If you have a garden, buy some nasturtium seeds too. They come up quickly and you can eat the flowers (beautiful in a salad) AND the leaves (if you like roquette you'll probably like nasturtium leaves) but only a few in a salad, well shredded - they're a bit strong.

If you have to grow things in pots and you have a sunny spot, consider strawberries and raspberries

fcl replied to fcl's response:
PS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingtomatoes1.shtml

It's a bit late in the season to grow them from seed but you should be able to buy plants in most places. Tomatoes are really easy to grow. They just need fed regularly and watered a lot

HTH!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to fcl's response:
Thank you FCL,

My grands will love the strawberry suggestion. The nasturtium seeds sound interesting. When my grands visit this weekend we will have a meeting.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have twins (boy & girl) and one has ADD so I am interested in tips, advice, etc. I work for a parenting website which is a great place to find ...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.