Skip to content
Average weight for 6 year old boy
Laur78 posted:
DS will be 6 in August and is about 44 inches tall. I think he might weigh too much, but I'm curious how much an average almost 6 year old boy weighs at that height. What does your DS weigh?

OneAndDone responded:
My DS's weight isn't relevant for your question because he's a couple of inches shorter than your DS. Here's a page from WebMD that has a link to calculate your child's BMI and gives you the percentiles. That might be the best indicator for you on how your child is tracking for his age: http://children.webmd.com/tc/interactive-tool-is-your-child-at-a-healthy-weight-what-does-this-tool

If you find that your son has a high BMI for his age, remember that we don't put children on a diet, but rather try to encourage a culture of getting more exercise and eating right. If "eating right" means less sugary sweets and fewer chips and more apples and carrots, that's not the same as making a child feel they're fat and so they don't get to eat as much as everyone else. And of course, the lesson goes even better if Mom and Dad are modeling better eating choices themselves. I'm trying to order less Diet Coke when we eat in fast food restaurants and more water and milk for myself, so DS sees me making good choices too.

Laur78 replied to OneAndDone's response:
I agree. But, we're struggling right now in some areas. He's really good at getting in his fruits. And, like when he says he's hungry in between meals I try to encourage fruit as a snack. He could do better with getting in his veggies. I think the biggest problem is what we let him eat for his meals. We let him have a lot of hamburgers and hot dogs. We've tried pushing grilled chicken and stuff like that, but he refuses. I know we are the parents, and he'll eat if he's hungry, but I'd rather find a way to get him to eat that stuff willingly. He even tries that healthy stuff and spits it out!

katieb426 replied to Laur78's response:
Lots of dinners can be "tweaked" to make them a little healthier. Use a whole grain bun instead of a white one for hamburgers. Leave off the slice of cheese and mayo, etc. We bake sweet potato fries as a healthy side to burgers or steaks.
Have you tried veggie burgers? I have made black bean burgers before and everyone seemed to like them okay.
Whenever you are planning a meal, just try "googling" whatever you're making for some healthier options.
My kids turn their noses up at a lot of veggies too. But they LOVE tomato soup, zucchini soup, etc. They don't think they are actually getting vegetables this way. So I just make it the main dish!
Let him plan a meal each week to give him a little more control. Tell him it has to include a healthy side that he will eat.
I completely understand how difficult it can be. Just be consistent, make sure he's getting lots of exercise and take the options of junk food out of the house.

OneAndDone responded:
I hope I didn't come across as high and mighty in my post yesterday. I also struggle with a child who would eat chicken nuggets and hot dogs all the time if he could, and he makes TERRIBLE choices for his lunch at school. My DS turned 6 in January, and it's getting better, he's become more willing over the last few months to try foods he would have refused when he was 5, and sometimes he finds to his surprise that he likes it. So I think that if you put healthy food in front of DS and try not to pressure him to do more than try it, eventually he will grow out of this picky-only-wanting-the-least-healthy-choices-imaginable phase. My DS must try everything on his plate, but if he only takes a micro-bite we don't push further. I think our reduced pressure has helped DS be willing to make the changes himself.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single mom of 3. My daughter is 18, my sons are 5 and 2. I work in the medical field as an radiologic technologist. I am home with my sons duri...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.