Skip to content
8 Year old daughter and headaches
allysmom7pa posted:
On and off for the past several months my DD has been complaining that her head hurts, especially at night. I deemed it that she was tired would send her to bed and then she would be fine. This past Saturday she was playing outside and came in at 11am crying that her head hurt. Nothing happened outside that would have caused this. I told her to go lay down and close her eyes. Five minutes later she was out cold. She slept for and hour woke up and came out crying that her head was killing her. I gave her some Motrin and we layed down together in my bed. She slept for 2 hours woke up, vomitted then went back to sleep for another 2 hours. When she finally woke up she said she was feeling fine. Is it possible that she is starting with Migraines? My DD never sleeps a whole day away. She had no fever and no other symptoms. It seemed like a migraine to me. Does anyone's young children suffer from migraines? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi allysmom7pa,

It can be allergies, or even a toothache. I would take her to your doctor to check all possibles.

katieb426 responded:
Has she recently had any eye exams? There are so many triggers for headaches and migraines. The best thing to do is keep a journal of her diet and activities on the days she gets headaches. You'll likely find the cause this way. Then you can also discuss it with her doctor to help find some solutions.

An_222181 responded:
You know when I was in kindergarten I got headaches all the time. We went to several different Docs and finally one told my mother it was my hair I had really thick long hair down to my butt. He told my mother that she needed to cut it so thats what she did and the headaches went away. Is your daughters hair long and thick that is a possible reason. Also I dont want to alarm you or anything but I work with a woman whos daughter kept complaining of headaches when she was 5 yrs old she had to keep taking her to the doc and fianlly they did some kind of scan of her brain and found a brain tumor (cancer) her daughter is now 10 and has been in remission for 4 yrs, so I would have it checked out there are many many reasons could just be allergys but it could be something far more serious.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a DD who is now 19 (living at home - no job - no extra school(yet) - due to lack of transportation and living in a small town) She has had ADHD...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.