Skip to content
my almost 8 year old is under weight!!
il0vemy2kids posted:
My son was born with hirschsprungs disease (he had some of his colon removed shortly after birth). He also has junctional rhythm he just got off a month long monitor. We dont have the results from that yet. At his last well visit the doc said he wouldn't worry about his weight because most of the kids he sees is over weight and he is healthier than them.

My son is 48 in tall and as of yesterday after dinner and wet after a shower (undressed) he only weighed 43 pounds EVEN. Witch makes his bmi 13.1. I don't know who to talk to about it. Carteologist or his GI docs!! I will be talking to his carteologist when ever they get back to me with his test results for the month long monitor but until then he has no appitite and I can barely get him to eat anything even things he loves. Any posts would be helpful. I am just a worried mom. Thank you.

katieb426 responded:
Sounds like your son has been through a lot. I am not familiar with any of the things you mentioned, so I'm wondering if the hirschsprungs contributes to his low weight? Is he on any meds where the side effect might be loss of apetite?

I would continue to keep in close contact with the docs. Does he gain weight steadily? Is he really active? What is his diet like?

There are lots of good, healthy fats out there that you can incorporate in to his diet (if you haven't already). Avocado, full fat yogurt, cheese, peanut butter (we use the all natural kind), oils like olive, coconut, etc.
Katie, Randy, Ella (6), Owen (5), Connor (3), Lilly (21 months)

il0vemy2kids replied to katieb426's response:
I just heard back from the carteologist and they said that there was nothing on his monitor that showed any reason why he would be under weight. He hasn't gained weight in maybe...2 years. He has no appitite. He is not a picky eater but when he is not hungry he wont eat. Not even things he loves. When he finishes his dinner we ask him if he wants ice cream and he will just say....no.....I'm full....we've tried giving him carnation instant breakfast daily and didn't notice any differance in his weight.

He is on adderoll but only 10mg. He has ADD and we have done quite a bit of adjusting to get him at this. One of the side effects from his med is weight loss and loss of appitite. But he just went down 5mg and the family doc said it should help with his appitite. So far I haven't noticed any thing. He has lost another pound or two even. I guess I am going to call his other doctors and ask them about it.

FCL responded:
At that age, it only takes a little for a child to be underweight. If he were 3 pounds heavier he would have a BMI of 14.1 which would place him in the "healthy weight" category. Check it out here:

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_bmi_calc.htm

I just wanted to reassure you, if I could :)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been on this board about 3 years. DH and I have one DS, my miracle baby born when I was in my mid-40s. I had a post-partum DVT 2 weeks after hi...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.