Skip to content
head lice, i am at my wits end please help!
samsgrl posted:
I have 3 girls, and every summer we have been getting headlice at least 3-5 times a summer. Cases vary in severity, but they go from minimal, to severe! Like now for instance, one of the girls has live bugs, quit a bit of them.! We have treated with the RID and we bleach and wash and dry ALL bedding, couches, carpets, all stuffed animals get removed and bagged for months! Does ANYONE have any other suggestions on how we can PREVENT them form coming back, my girls leave everyother weekend to their dad, and he says he treats his house, but dont know that for sure! So prevention is what we need, besides the typical. PLEASE any thing is welcome! THANKYOU!

FCL responded:
I suppose the first thing to do is if they have long hair to get it cut. Lice prefer long hair...

I have a friend who swears by lavender essential oil. She massages her daughter's scalp with 2-3 drops every day. I've never known her daughter to have lice.

PS - no need to bag the stuffed animals, just put them through the dryer :)

momuv4girls responded:
Two weeks is all you need to bag the stuffed animals - the dryer idea is a bit dicey, because you'd have to dry them really hot for a long period of time.

My dd suffered with lice for a good 4-months. It was awful, so I totally feel your pain !!

Here is a link to the treatment we sought and saw when I was at my wits end:

http://www.nuvoforheadlice.com/

Its AMAZING and it works!!!!!!!

I'm sure if you sent an email requesting the best info. for preventive stuff, they would email you back.
Take care, and I'm sorry for all your troubles!!!
-Kathleen

FCL replied to momuv4girls's response:
The dryer isn't dicey - you wash the toys and put them through the dryer for as long as it takes (the advice comes from a friend who is a respiratorty therapist - he said it's great for dust mites and allergies too :) ).

samsgrl replied to FCL's response:
thanks, and yes i have cut their hair, even the one with shorter hair seems to be getting it back! ugh!! We dry the stuffed animals that we think can go through the dryer, but the ones that cant, like fur real pets, that have plastic, cant go in! :( Thanks though!

samsgrl replied to momuv4girls's response:
thanks i will look into that as well. It is a big pain isnt it? That is one reason i like winter! lol thankyou for your input! :)

kbrown55 responded:
When I worked at a daycare we had something called a Robi-comb. It is the BEST thing I ever came across and used it when my own child got a case. It is a small, square-shaped device with little metal "bristles" on the end and is battery operated. You comb it through your child's hair and when it comes in contact with a nit or bug it send a buzz through it and kills it instantly. It is completely painless to the child. They just sit there while you comb their hair. It's AMAZING! Chemical free and painless. It only cost be about $22. The problem with headlice these days is that they are becomming resistant to the treatments we have for them. Look this up on-line and see if you can get one.

All the prevention you're doing sounds right - good luck!

samsgrl replied to kbrown55's response:
you know i saw that advertise, but i didnt think it was a real thing that actually worked! Thanks for letting me know about it. We will look into that as well.

majoremma responded:
My daughter is starting kindergarten this year so I took her to get her hair cut. The lady that cut her hair told me to prevent head lice, to was her hair with Suave (clairifiying) & apple cider vinager. Mix half and half and wash her hair with it at least 3 times a week. I know it sounds weird, and I dont know if I will ever try it! But then again, I haven't had to deal with the clean up from it! Good luck!!

121sweetie responded:
I have posted this tip here before but it's worth repeating. A few years a go an adult friend of mine, who lives alone, got lice and went through all of the usual treatments, cleaning etc. but it kept coming back. She finally went to the doctor and they found lice embedded in the bases of her eyelashes, they were hiding in there and kept coming back! Once they picked those out she was cured!

Babyxtwoxtwo replied to 121sweetie's response:
Try using hair gel, the bugs hate it because they can't climb the hair it's too slick, my sons love slicking their hair back so it wasn't so hard.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have twins (boy & girl) and one has ADD so I am interested in tips, advice, etc. I work for a parenting website which is a great place to find ...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.