Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
7 year old can't stop crying
An_222205 posted:
My 7 year old son started a new school. Everything was going well. He told me that he love his new school and that he loves his teacher. He tells me that the teachers are really nice. When I pick him up from school, I speak to his teacher and they tell me that he is a wonderful boy.
Just this past week my son can't stop crying. I ask him whats going on....did something happen in school. He tells me that nothing is wrong at school, he does not know why he is crying. Now this is very stranger, because my son is always smiling he is a very happy child. I this had happen to anyone, and what did you do?

momuv4girls responded:
Hi,

So, how long has he been at this new school? Did you move also?
Has anything else changed besides the new school, like a new daycare etc.. ??

I don't immediately want to jump into childhood depression...but it does happen. A child can become sad and cry and not know why.
Does he seem sad at home and throughout the day?

My daughter had her first episode - similar to what you describe at age 10. She was sad and cried for about 10-days. It was heart wrenching to see her this way.
I would ask her why, and she had no idea, she just was sad.

I would recommend charting this. Write down a little blurb everyday. It doesn't have to be indepth, just something like:
Tues. Jonny cried for 10-min. about taking a bath, was sad for most of the day until dinner.
That way, if you do end up taking him into the Dr. you can look back on your notes and its very helpful.

Please write back with more info and/or questions, I'm happy to help!!
-Kathleen

UTMomofTwo responded:
I have a 7 year old son as well and he just started 2nd grade at a new school. He hasn't been crying, but he has been complaining nonstop about how hard school is. It doesn't seem that it is actually hard for him, it is just that SO much more if required than was in 1st grade at his last school. Example. In 1st grade, they had to read 20 minutes a day at home. In 2nd grade, they have read 30 minutes a day at home and are required to check out 4 books each day from the library and read those 4 books that night. The next morning, they go to the computer lab and take a test on each of the books they read. They do this everyday. This will go on for all of 2nd grade. My son's teacher says how smart and sweet he is, and he does like his teacher, he is just feeling SO overwhelmed. In 1st grade his teacher wouldn't let him move on to something else until the whole class was done with the assignment. He was always the first one done and just sat there and waited. Now when he finishes he is told to move on immediately to something else. That is a lot of pressure for a 7 y/o (in my opinion).

Is it possible that your son is feeling overwhelmed by the school work and that it causing him to cry? He may be enjoying school in general because he likes his teacher and is making new friends, but might be overwhelmed by the work?? Just a thought.....

HTH.

Dawn

ashersmash responded:
This sounds exactly like when my son started pre-school. Same thing...happy sweet kid loves school for about 2 weeks.then he is crying and hates school. I never figured it out but now he is 10 and he said all the kids were mean to him. They wouldn't play with him. They would single him out deliberately. I never imagined this would happen to him! He seems to be loved by everyone and that was true then. I wish i would have known but he wouldn't tell me back then. I don't know what i could have done but i feel terrible! I hope this helps but i hope this is not happening to your kid too.

Mrshollyhocks replied to ashersmash's response:
I have a son that won't tell me anything either. Or use to not. You should have the school counselor look in on him.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been on this board about 3 years. DH and I have one DS, my miracle baby born when I was in my mid-40s. I had a post-partum DVT 2 weeks after hi...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.