Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Community Discussion: Circumcision Possible Illegal in San Francisco
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hi parents!

An interesting discussion on the Baby's First Year Community about circumcisions being made illegal in San Francisco. http://forums.webmd.com/3/newborn-and-baby-exchange/forum/7747/
I have 2 sons who were circumcised and 1 stepson that wasn't. My stepson had a difficult time keeping the area clean when he was young and at 15 regrets he wasn't circumcised as an infant. But I do feel it is more because he doesn't look the same as everyone else and no other reason.

Do you feel circumcision is mutilation as the article states?

Is your son circumcised?

Do you feel the state has gone too far in trying to stop circumcisions?

normarae5 responded:
No, I honestly feel like its a normal process, and unless you have religion reasons its silly not to get it done. Its very minor if done at birth, and it saves you and the child issues with getting infections due to not cleaning well.

Yes, I have a Eight Year old son, and he was done at birth.

I feel like they have gone to far, that is not their place. Its far more issues in the word, such as Gang Violence, Homelessness, and War to deal with to be focusing on a simply procedure as curcumcisions. I know everyone has their own opinions about this issue but I dont see the big deal, its almost normal to get it done and I have not friends or family members with sons, that opted not to get the procedure done.
A.J.'s Mom

An_222219 replied to normarae5's response:
And I think that it's silly to get cosmetic surgery of this sort (because that's all it is, really) unless you have religious reasons. You don't cut off a child's ears in case he doesn't clean properly you TEACH him to clean himself properly. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

KC_94920 responded:
We live minutes from San Francisco so this is a well known topic of conversation around here. Personally, I don't necessarily feel it's mutilation but also don't see it as a necessary procedure. I think it's just a family decision and don't pass judgement either way.

Yes, my son (5) is circumcised but it was done because his father is jewish and it was important to him. I would not have done it for any other reason.

In the hospital DS was born in only about half the boys are circumcised anyway so it does seem like a waste of time, money and energy to go so far as to make it illegal.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to KC_94920's response:
Do you think that pregnant mothers will go to hospitals out of the city, if they prefer to have their sons circumcised?

katieb426 responded:
For some reason, the link didn't work for me, but I'll chime in anyway.

I certainly don't think circumcision is mutilation. Both of our boys were circumcised at birth and it seemed like the right thing for us to do. Our religious beliefs also play a role in having the boys circumcised. It was a cool thing for my husband to watch (I wasn't with them when it was done) and our doctor has the same religious beliefs as us, so he talked DH through the scriptures as he circumcised them.

However, I could care less if someone chooses not to have it done. I really don't think it matters that much either way.

I do think it is going too far to make it illegal. Why should government be involved in this?
Katie, Randy, Ella (7), Owen (5), Connor (4), Lilly (23 months)

LeeLou25 responded:
I dont personally.

Yes.

Yes I think they have gone to far. It should be an option you choose to do or not. I mean if a parent can choose not to get their child vaccinated and by doing so putting others at risk then how can they tell parents you cant cut that extra skin off of your child??? People are crazy when it comes to some things.

LeeLou25 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yes I believe parents will go to other citys just for this reason. I really doubt they will outlaw it but if they did I think you will see plenty of parents having children at hospitals outside of San Francisco. Its really important to have done for alot of people and everyone has differnt reasons doesnt make them wrong I guess.

An_222220 replied to LeeLou25's response:
Oh wow. Why should parents decide whether their son should maintain the nevre endings on their penis or not? What is to be gained by a circumcision? It's totally unnecessary. To be like others? And if others cut off 2 finers per hand?

I don't think it's the role of the city to decide this simply because I think that it's an unnecessary procedure. There is no reason for having it done beyond religious reasons, and even then ...

LeeLou25 replied to An_222220's response:
Its just a personal choice that the goverment shouldnt be allowed to take away. Just like women should have the right to do what they like with their body in the case of rape or incest (I dont believe abortion should be a form of birthcontrol though). Tattoos are unnecessary but people like the way they look and peirceings but alot of cultures do this even to children. Do we need to go to these other countries and put a stop to them doing this also. Alot of things are unescessary in life I could name hundreds im sure. Its a personal choice everyone has their own reasons for doing this. I am not saying its necessary though just a choice. There are alot of things wrong with this country I just believe they should try and fix the bigger stuff and maybe go about this another way educate people better over time and give them a dang choice.

An_222221 replied to LeeLou25's response:
Thatr's exactly my point. This should be a personal choice. Not the choice of the parents. If the guy wants to get circumcized when he's old enough to make an informed decision then let him. It's his body and it should be his choice.

LeeLou25 replied to An_222221's response:
Yeah good point I get what you mean.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to An_222221's response:
I don't know if all feel it as a "personal choice"? I had both my boys circumcised because it is easier to keep clean and will cause less infections to their SO when they grow up. Both boys have told me they are happy to be circumcised. I would understand if there was a group of men upset over being circumcised.

FCL replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Maybe you should ask over on the men's boards. There are many who are unhappy about it. To echo PP, would you cut off their ears because it's easier to keep clean? Also, if the child is taught to keep himself clean then the infections to their SO just won't happen. How old are your sons?

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to katieb426's response:
Sorry Katie, here is a working link: http://forums.webmd.com/3/newborn-and-baby-exchange/forum/7747/

Spotlight: Member Stories

My partner and I have six children-the oldest three are grown up and on their own. The younger three are 16, 14, and 11. My 74 yo mother lives with us...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.