Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
green stool
Marie0718 posted:
My DS is 7 yrs old and has been having a green stool off and on for the last 3 weeks with stomach ache. About 3 weeks ago, he had symptoms of low grade fever, mild headache, stomach ache and sore throat. I gave him some tylenol and kept him home from school the next day. He felt much better after that, but still complained of a stomach ache and started having diarrhea. It would come and go and I took him for his well check a week after this started. He got a clean bill of health and the dr. said it was probably a virus. A few days later it was back again. It comes around every 3-4 days and will either be diarrhea or a soft stool and about a third of the time it is green - a little dark in color. A friend told me she thought he may be getting too much iron, and that the Wal Mart wheat bread does the same thing to her.....and that is what DS eats alot in his lunch at school. She thought he may be starting to become sensitive to the iron fortified wheat bread. I also wasn't sure if it was from the peanut butter he eats too. He loves peanut butter & honey sandwiches. I'm thinking about switching bread but wanted to know if anyone had an idea of what it could be. We have the wal mart brand peanut butter (great value) and I didn't see that on the salmonella list, so have been using it. He has always been healthy with no digestive problems. My husbands sister is a diabetic with celiac disease, so this has been a concern too. Other than that, his diet hasn't changed. He takes a multivitamin, but not with added iron. Thank you for any comments you may have.

JLinsky responded:
Does your son drink or eat anything with blue dye in it (koolaid, or jello, for example?). That will cause green stools.

Trying a different bread seems like a reasonable idea.

We have a local expert (meaning a mom with lots of experience, not a formal degree) on dietary allergies and celiac's disease. If you decide to try an elimination diet, here's a link to her suggestions:

boards.webmd.com/?THD@@.89b4afcb!thdChild=.89b4afcb/2

You could also browse her "other posts by" to link to additional conversations about kids with food sensitivities and digestive problems.

TrudyGERD responded:
Heh heh... I like being called an expert. LOL

Green is typically not considered a problem. Black, whitish/tan or bright red are the only colours considered to be a problem. Black and red mean blood (black from the upper GI tract, red from lower GI tract) and white is a billiary problem with lack of bile being produced or released.

As JLinsky said, green can be caused by a variety of reasons. The most common is food colourings. After that, it's generally caused by increased transit of food through the GI tract. Bile is what causes the normal colour of stools. Under normal healthy conditions, there is enough time for the bile to turn from yellow to green to brown. When a person gets sick, the transit time will sometimes speed up resulting in green or even yellow stools (yellow is more common with diarrhea but it can happen without it). Darker green is closer to normal than lighter green so the fact that his is darker is good. Because he has had a fever and sore throat long with the stomach ages, it does sound fairly viral though really a stool test and CBC would be necessary to confirm.

Celiac doesn't usually cause a fever, at least not in earlier stages on onset (unless it's a very severe onset which you'd know it is because you'd have him at the ER for dehydration and severe nausea/diarrhea; severe onset really is severe).

Since this comes back every 3-4 days, I'd start a detailed food and symptoms diary. Write down every single thing that passes through his lips (food, drink, medicine - OTC & Rx) with the date and time. Also write down every single symptom with the date and time. A pattern may emerge between foods and symptoms.

That being said, it may just time time for his body to fully recover from an infection.

There's absolutely no harm in changing breads to see if that helps. It sure seems like a simple test. It might be a good idea to at least cut back on dairy for a little while. When the GI tract is in distress, most people become temporarily lactose intollerant. This does generally go away once the body recovers but it can be miserable until that happens. Give it a couple weeks with really reduced dairy.

If this persists, I would urge you to have his blood sugars tested and also have him evaluated for celiac.

One last thing. If his stools ever have a greasy or oily substance with them then request a full celiac panel to be faxed to your local lab, have the blood drawn, then start him on a gluten free diet immediately. Greasy stools are a sign of fat malabsorption. The most common causes are billiary problems and celiac. With a family history of celiac it makes sense to start looking there.

Marie0718 responded:
Thank you both for all of your comments and suggestions. My son doesn't drink kool aid or eat jello, but he ate Trix yogurt before and yes, it came out to be a bright green color. I will see if this passes in time and cut back on the dairy. I'll also switch bread and see if anything changes.

Thanks again!

godfamily53 replied to TrudyGERD's response:
hi im 53 an I whent to the bathroom an my bowels was green an its got me wory please help .

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a DD who is now 19 (living at home - no job - no extra school(yet) - due to lack of transportation and living in a small town) She has had ADHD...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.