Skip to content
7 year old pooping pants/picky eater
tmbandgtb posted:
I have a stepson who is 7 years old who still poops his pants. When we try to talk to him about it he gets embarrassed and cries. The only thing that we have came down to is If he wants to go somewhere fun or his favorite place to eat is to sit on the toilet and try and poop before he can go. Also when he does poop in his underwear we make him sit on the toilet to see if he still needs to finish. We do not know what to do to stop it. We also have a hard time trying to get him to try new foods. He is a very picky eater, and when we'll bring home something new, he will not eat it or will not try to eat it. We tell him that he needs to try it before he goes and eats junk food. There is no constency because he does not live with us and everyone else just lets him eat junk. If we say he has to try it before he can eat a cookie or chips, he wont eat it and eventually tells a story that we do not feed him. He also will try to sneak in the kitchen to find junk food which we have to put on a higher shelf. He is also overweight so we try to control the junk food he does eat and bring in more healthy foods which he does not like. How can we get a picky eater to try new things and stop pooping in his pants?

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Tmbandgth,

Your stepson should be examined by his PCP to rule out any possible medical conditions. Picky eating is a normal childhood hurdle. Consider setting rules to encourage him to eat healthy and reward him with a favorite treat. My step son knows that the rules are different in each home, he was very picky too. Now at 15, he eats a healthy variety. Keep us updated.

Good luck!

tmbandgtb replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Lainey,

Could you suggest certain rules to make him try new things? If we make him try a bite he won't and he starts crying and then he goes home and tells his mom we do not feed him. All he thinks about is food. I know his mom always takes him and my stepdaughter to mcdonalds because she doesn't have any food at home. We, on the other hand, do not take them out because it's unhealthy.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to tmbandgtb's response:
Hi Tmbandgth,

Let the Biological mother know that you will be changing the household diet in a note. You can educate the stepson and his mother about how fast foods are not a good option as routine meals. Do some research and include them in the note. This link should help: http://www.webmd.com/video/ludwig-child-fast-food

I take my stepson shopping with me and asked him to help pick out foods that he likes but they must be healthy. As a reward I would also allow him to pick a non-healthy treat, with the understanding of our rule: "If you don't eat the meal you don't get anything else."

This will be a very long process because the stepson is accustomed to eating what he likes. You can also offer a rewards for eating the entire meal.

You will need support from the biological father. Set the goals small and build on them. Let me know if you need any ideas.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been on this board about 3 years. DH and I have one DS, my miracle baby born when I was in my mid-40s. I had a post-partum DVT 2 weeks after hi...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.