Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
3 year old step-daughter/taking baths
tmbandgtb posted:
I also have a 3 year old step daughter who is still in pampers. Still in concept that this is joint custody and she does not live with us full time. She mostly does good about going to the potty, but if she is brought to us in pampers. We take them off immediately and tell her she is a big girl now and big girls potty in the toilet. About half of the time she does fairly well about going. There is no consitency because what we do at our house doesnt go to the other houses. They put her in pampers like they are too busy to deal with trying to get her potty trained. It also seems like she has a fear of taking a bath. She has done that ever since she was 2. Even sudden outbursts when we are out in public and say I don't want to take a bath and keeps repeating herself. So when she does get a bath she does okay until we start to wash her hair. We cannot get her to sit down and she throws a tantrum. I don't know if her mother or anyone has terrorized her while she is taking a bath. We have tearless shampoo/conditioner, the body paints (soap) which would make it fun to take a bath. We still have had no luck. Please help.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Tmbandgtb,

Have you tried a shower attachment hose? You can control where the water is directed and she can stand while you wash her.

tmbandgtb replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Lainey,

What about the potty training?

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to tmbandgtb's response:
It is very difficult to get young children to understand that their are different rules in each home. I would set a funny sounding alarm for the child that goes off every hour. Call it "The Potty Alarm" and make it fun for her to go to the bathroom. When the alarm goes off make a shocked face and say words that will excite her. You can also make a potty song. We used the song from Alice In Wonderland where the rabbit sings, "I'm late!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wl47EEYrAc
Just add the word potty and she will love it! You can also do a happy dance if she actually goes! The more fun it is for her the more she will want to do it even at her mom's house.

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
I also have a 3 year old daughter. She doesn't like getting her hair washed, either. I think it's a common issue at this age, so I don't think anyone has terrorized your step-daughter. We usually let our daughter try and do most of the washing herself, and then just help out as needed. It has helped make bath time a little easier.

Have you discussed with her other parent(s) when they will start potty training?

ryanandleigh responded:
I don't think there really is any bathtub issues. Both my kids have gone through a "I hate having my hair washed" phase. They scream like I am killing them. But we cover their eyes and do it real quick. Finally my son, now 5, does his own just fine. But my 2 year old still hates to have hers washed.

As for the potty issue, have you talked to the other side? Do they feel she isn't ready? If they won't help potty train her, then there might now be much that you can do. If you had her for a good week or two you probably could get her well trained and maybe have them continue it. I know many kids who were not potty trained until 3 so there is no rush if she isn't ready.

tmbandgtb replied to ryanandleigh's response:
She does good with us. But as far as the biological mom, her parents which are divorced, put her pullups on like they're too busy. Me and the biological father both have full time jobs and I also work a part time job on top. As soon as we see she has pullups on, we take them off and put her "big" girl panties on. And we tell her you peepee and poopoo in the potty like a big girl. Even with the poopoo she has been doing better because we have had her for the past 2 weeks, but it could turn around as soon as she is back with the mother's side.

The living arrangements with the mother are complicated. They're supposed to live with her, but it's joint custody and she's with us half of the time. The mother is schizophrenic and bipolar and refuses to take her medications so her father had took the kids so they're living with him and they stay with us when its our days to have them. But she and her brother are flipped flopped in between 5 houses so it's hard for us to say you have to do this, when they're letting them do whatever they want. There's no consistency. So our set rules are different from they're set rules which theirs is little or none at all. They let them eat junk food and run wild when we have set bedtimes, healthy meals, and potty training. The older son who is 7 is overweight so we watch that. There is no cokes and hardly any candy at all and definitely no fast food. I was just trying to find advice how to set it with the others so it's consistent all over and not just in one household.

I appreciate everyone who has helped me out, and if you would continue to offer your advice to me and my husband would be wonderful!

ryanandleigh replied to tmbandgtb's response:
Wow - flipped between 5 houses must be hard on the kids. Really if the other people aren't "on board" I think any changes would be hard to maintain. I don't know how "friendly" you or your husband are with the others so I don't know if just speaking to them (family meeting?) would help. Have you thought about trying to get full custody? I don't know if that is something you want or if it is even possible. My thought would be to go to the court system and see if there is anything you can do to narrow down the disruption in their lives.

tmbandgtb replied to ryanandleigh's response:
We have thought about taking them to court, but we don't have that much money to get a lawyer to take her to court. We get along okay with the ex wife, but she likes to make up lies about my husband to get everyone off her back for not taking her medications so I'm not real happy with her.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually EOBP (early on-set bipo...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.