Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
When do you stop bathing children of the same sex together?
angelaromano posted:
My fiance's son lives with his mother and visits with us every weekend. He told us this past weekend that he and the other little boy living in the home with him took a shower together. They are boys ages 7 and 8 years. He also said that his 9 month old half sister was in there as well. I am concerned that they are too old to be showering together and that infant should not be in a shower with two little boys that age either. At what age would you consider it out of the norm or unhealthy for two boys to shower together? Also, how often would most people consider that children that age should be bathed or showered? He is only taking a shower once per week until he gets to our house. Same with brushing his teeth. I am concerned as a parent of two little boys of my own.

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Look at locker rooms -- many times adults of the same sex shower together.

I would stop bathing them together when they feel uncomfortable about it. I have 2 girls, ages 3 and 5. Our 5 year old is starting to want more privacy, so they shower separately most times. Sometimes, though, they still want to take a bubble bath together (which usually means playing in the tub with their bath toys).

In the Winter, our girls usually shower/bathe about every other day. In the Summer, it's usually every day.

I would be more concerned about the lack of teeth brushing. My DDs brush 2-3 times a day, and floss once a day.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Eli, and my husband's name is John. I have a stepson who is 14, who we have for the summer. John and I have 2 children together. Trista...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.