Skip to content
6 year old boy with bright red scrotum
allysmom7pa posted:
Hoping someone here can give me a little advice or has been through something similar or even what this could possibly be.

I came home from work last night and my son was standing in front of me holding himself almost looking like he was doing the infamous pee pee dance. I told him to go to the bathroom and he said I dont have to it just hurts. He said it has been getting redder and redder all day long. Immediately concerned I took him to his bedroom to look. His scrotum was BRIGHT red. Not a rash just the entire thing one solid color of red. His penis looked fine but I wanted to move it to check the underside but he would not let me touch anything crying that it hurt. So I asked him to and when he did his penis is sticking to his scrotum. His scrotum was also very mushy and hanging low. So my first thought was well maybe he sweat alot in gym today and its just irriatated. I let him sit in a bath for awhile and when he first got out he said he felt better but it was still the same color.

He then later started saying it was hurting again so I decided to put some desitin on him and see how he was this morning. Well putting the desitin on was a two team effort. My husband had to hold him down while I did because the kid was screaming bloody murder. After it was on he said he felt a little better and went to bed.

He work up this morning and it is still red but not as red as it was last night. I put him in loose boxers and jogging pants to go to school in. If it gets worse again throughout the day and its the same as last night I am at a loss.

Has anyone had anything similar with their little boys? Any suggestions? Odd topic to post about and I kind of feel funny doing it but will take any help I can get.

Thanks.

Lori

mom2quads responded:
Hey, Lori...don't feel bad about posting this question here. That's what the forums are for :)

As for your son's problem....
Did you notice any flaky skin or scaly looking? My son had a bad yeast infection once and his scrotum looked exactly like you are describing but had a flaky/scaly look to it. I ended up taking him to the doctor because, like your son, he was in pain. I told the doctor I had put Desitin on it and he screamed...she said the zinc in it can burn raw skin. Well then why the heck do we put it on our poor little ones bottoms when they have a rash!? Poor babies! Anyway, she told me to use Monistat on him...and it worked.

Hope this helps! Of course, I am not a doctor so if you have any concerns (swelling/continued pain/trouble urinating/fever) I would definitely give his pediatrician a call.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to mom2quads's response:
Hi Lori! How upsetting that must have been - thanks for posting. I do think putting a call into your doctor (or if they have a nurse on phone duty) is appropriate.

I wonder if it could be a Urinary Tract Infection? Check this link and see if any of these symptoms fit as well:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-urinary-tract-infections-symptoms

Please check back in!

Haylen

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have twins (boy & girl) and one has ADD so I am interested in tips, advice, etc. I work for a parenting website which is a great place to find ...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.