Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My six year old daughter kissing other little girls
An_222251 posted:
I received a note from my six year old daughters teacher asking me to talk to my daughter about kissing other little girls in her class. Will someone please tell me how I can explain this in a way that is understood. I spoke to her about it and all she did was cry because she was embarrassed. I don't know if she really understood what I was saying.

Desparate Mom

DidiToo responded:
I know it's hard, but try not to stress.

I'd approach it as a boundary discussion. Explain that for people in the family, it's great to give kisses. It's a sign of love. And while you know that she didn't mean anything wrong or bad by kissing a friend, that it's important to remember that not everyone feels comfortable kissing or hugging friends or other people. It's better to show our affection with words - "I really like you," "You're a really good friend to me." Then stress again that you know she did not mean anything bad by the behavior and that respecting other people's boundaries is something that has to be learned.

(As a sidenote - I have to have a version of the "boundaries" talk with employees at my company, so your daughter is actually ahead of the game if she has it mastered by age seven!)

Try not to be too upset. I'd bet that the teachers see some version of this happen often. Look at it as an opportunity for your daughter to learn, and try to have her see it the same way.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom, wife and employee. I have two beautiful children 6(boy) and 8 (girl). We live in the beautiful Poconos of PA.

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.