Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Melatonin for my 5 YO???
klav99 posted:
My 5 year old son started with night terrors when he was around 1. He still has them although they are not nearly as frequent but still has issues at night. He goes to bed between 7:30-8:00 every night but sometimes at 10:30-11 his is still awake. When he finally falls asleep, he wakes up a few hrs later for a drink, tells me hes hungry or that he wants a hug. No matter what time he falls a sleep, he is always up early. This happens a few times every night. The DR suggest I try 1 mg of melatonin. He is going to Kindergarten in Sept and I don't want these sleep patterns to affect him in school. I was just hoping for some feed back (Positive and Negative) before I try it.

Thanks!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I've never heard of giving kids melatonin but found this WebMD article:

Malatonin Helps Autistic Kids Sleep

So it sounds like it has been approved - please check back in and let us know how it is going!

Haylen

klav99 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks, it was actually suggested by the Dr but was a little leary so I wanted some feedback to make me feel better! He's not autistic but I will read the article!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to klav99's response:
I hope it works - for his sake but mainly yours

Haylen

alliehooch responded:
My daughter, who is now 8, has never slept well either. Her sleep patterns were very similar to your sons at that age. We tried melatonin, but I was unsure about the dosage and it seemed that she had more nightmares. Of course I did this without talking with the doctor. that might have made a difference. I've heard that it works well for some kids, though.

What I wanted to mention was that Allison has ADD, and her doc explained how ADD affects the ability to fall asleep. She has been taking a low dose of clonidine, which I think is a stimulant, to help her get to sleep and it makes a big difference. I hate the idea of giving my daughter drugs to get her to sleep, but we tried everything for years and nothing worked. And it is so much better to make sure that she is rested and ready for school, than to have her awake till wee hours and not be able to function the next day.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom, wife and employee. I have two beautiful children 6(boy) and 8 (girl). We live in the beautiful Poconos of PA.

Helpful Tips

Winter Activity
Actually, I'm just testing everything out with this new format, so I'm going to dive right in and add a tip just to see how it works! ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.