Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
6 year old boy with attitude
Laur78 posted:
My DS is 6 (he'll be 7 in August), and he has quite the attitude problem. He is perfectly behaved in school - so much so that the teachers always comment on it. But, at home he talks back and yells at us. We are at our wits end. We don't know the appropriate way to handle him. At this point we've yelled back (wrong reaction), ignored (wrong reaction), and even tried speaking calmly in response. When he is behaving he is an angel. But, when he's mad about something he sure let's us know! Help!!!

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Mom,

Actually your response to ignoring isn't far off - - by ignoring bad behavior, you are giving it no power, yelling on the other hand is giving it a ton of power.

Some children are more difficult/strong willed than others. I highly suggest the parenting books: http://www.parentmagic.com/

Also, I've found that parenting classes help a whole lot.
You can look in local Children/Family magazines for them, call your local Child Psychologist offices and inquire about classes, or even your local hospital may offer them.

You will need tools to take you through his stages in life, because strong willed/feisty children do not change - they get smarter and smarter, and we need to also :)

Take care,
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom, wife and employee. I have two beautiful children 6(boy) and 8 (girl). We live in the beautiful Poconos of PA.

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.