Skip to content
Not sure what to do
loveofthree posted:
So I have an 8 year old daughter that will be 9 in August and it seems that a lot is going on with her. She is lying about her homework, telling me she has none when in reality she does she just hides it. She has problems as it is with reading and math. We just got her report card and she is really behind. We have done home trivia games that she loves to do and is great at, at home. But when it comes to homework it takes her two hours to do it and by the end of it my husband and I are about to pull our hair out. Its like she looks at the paper and all of a sudden doesn't understand. This is the same stuff she does everyday and has been all year. It has just become recently that she is lying about the homework. I feel that I am at a lost. I am not sure what to do. I have contacted her teacher asking for help. What we can do or since it is almost summer I have asked about summer school and I have had no response from her. We have put her on timeouts for the lying but that does not work either. we have told her that if we don't work to get her grades up that she wont do sports this summer either. I really want my daughter to succeed, well what parent wouldn't. I am just at a brick in the road and not sure what to do, So I am hoping that maybe some other parents can give me some advice on what to do or what you may do.

momuv4girls responded:
I would have her tested for a learning disability by a smart, knowledgeable Educational consultant.
Do not wait.
The longer and longer this goes on, the further she'll fall behind and her self esteem will suffer.

Here is a link to explore: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/learning_disabilities.htm

Children want to please their parents, but if something is getting in their way (an undiagnosed learning deficit), they will lie, cheat and do whatever to seem "normal".

I would give her hugs, compassion and let her know you will work with her to find a solution.

Take care, and keep searching for answers !!
((Hugs))
-Kathleen

phoenix31674 responded:
Have you had her eyes checked? Some kids start having problems with academics because they can't see the board or if she's farsighted the paper. But other than that, having her evaluated would be good. They can look for things like dyslexia and other learning disorders.

Good luck to you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom, wife and employee. I have two beautiful children 6(boy) and 8 (girl). We live in the beautiful Poconos of PA.

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.