Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
what to do, how to handle
vanessagw23 posted:
My daughter is 7 years old, the past year we have had problems with her and her hygeine. She often won't brush her teeth or wash up properly in the shower (so then she has to get back in), and then she often doesn't use toilet paper after using the restroom. I've told her the health risks of this, I've yelled and gotten angry, and I've threatened. I am at my wits end now, please help!

phoenix31674 responded:
She's probably making it a control issue. Try a rewards system for when she does stuff properly to reinforce good behavior rather than punish the bad behavior. let her know she has control over getting some sort of reward (a special game with you, little toy, ice cream treat out, something she likes) by doing the proper behavior.

For wiping have you tried the moist flushable wipes? She may not like the way TP feels or pieces of it may get stuck on her. my daughter prefers the wipes to dry, scratchy TP.

Good luck.

Noodlesbaby11 responded:
When you figure it out, please let me know. My son will be 8 in a week and I am having the exact same issues with him!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kirsten and I'm a single mom to Katlyn, who is 8, and Belle who is 6. Katlyn has ADHD, OCD and probable Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Belle ...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.