Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worried me.
An_222256 posted:
My son has a speech problem with his T's sounding like F's and his CH sounding like SH. I was searching for speech therapy books online and noticed other things in articles that caught my attention and i began to really worry. My son eats really slowly like an hr to eat dinner but if its dessert its gone fast so i thought of it more as a nuisance. He is seven years old but its even in his file at school that he eats slowly, i went today for a meeting with the speech teacher who evaluated him but his speech problems are not significant enough for help through the district. I have already made a Dr's appointment but now i am wondering if there is really a huge problem now. I also notice that he does this throat clearing thing its really minute but when i tell him to stop he says he cant. I am starting to feel really bad these are small little things but can they all be related to an underlying problem. I guess when i get to the Dr this will clear things up but what to do in the meantime but worry?

fcl responded:
Tell yourself that worrying changes nothing but wastes a lot of energy

Honestly, if he eats some things slowly but other things fast it kind of shows that there isn't much probability of a sensory problem. And let's face it, if he's eating slowly at least he's eating properly Too many kids bolt down their food. It takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to register that it's been fed so eating slowly is favourable to eating the right amount whereas boklting down food maeans there's a much greater intake before the stomach yells "STOP!".

Really, I wouldn't give this too much thought because if there was a major problem the speech teacher would have let you know.

momuv4girls responded:
You may have a right to be concerned, or maybe not. Hopefully your son's pedi is a really good one and can address your concerns appropriately.

I have found that a second opinion is very important. So, just because the district speech pathologist can't see him because your son's speech isn't severe enough, doesn't mean he shouldn't have speech therapy. I would find another local one to give your son an evaluation.

Tics (such as clearing the throat) are important to bring up with his pedi. Tics like that are not that unusual and does not mean your son has tourettes, but it should be noted. Here is some good info about childhood tics:
http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/tic_disorders

I would gather your thoughts/concerns together on a notepad to discuss with your son's Dr. Note everything big and small to discuss.
You may want to have a short visit with the Dr. alone first to discuss your concerns, then bring in your son because it may be uncomfortable to talk frankly in front of your son and the Dr. at first. You could just clue in the Dr. about what you are seeing and how your son behaves without embarrassing him - - just a thought.

Take care, and let us know how the visit goes.
((Hugs))
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually EOBP (early on-set bipo...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.