Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
lost?
An_222257 posted:
My son is 8 yrs old. He has been potty trained since 2. Every since then, quite often, he craps his pants. I have tried talking to him about it, grounding him, and every other thing i can think of. Do u think this could be a medical problem. What should I do? Please help. Thanks

santorini1 responded:
Hi - we had the same problem, same age etc. It's been happening off and on for years. Basically you need to treat it like constipation. Magnisium Citrate and Mirolax. I don't want to diagnose the problem since I'm sure I wouldn't get everything quite right but basically for my son, he can't always feel when he needs to go. In addition to the over counter items to help, you need to establish a routine so your child goes daily. Increasing fiber in the diet should help. The last 2 things are hard to do when you're a busy family. We're still working on it!

Tricia1166 responded:
Sounds like it could be encopresis, which is a medical conditation and like PP said needs to be handled in a way similar to constipation. Talk to your doctor for some ideas.

AlexandMiaMom replied to Tricia1166's response:
I am having the same problem...my five year old daughter has pooped in her pants off and on for 18 months. She too says she doesn't feel it coming out but it is always when she is busy playing. I have tried everything, taking things away, rewarding her, making her clean herself up, do her own laundry. I have looked up encopresis and thinks she has this. We have tried giving her a laxative every day, her normal bm's are about the 12" long and 2" around, it must hurt coming out so thats why I think she might have that. Any thoughts...

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jenn 35 years old happily married for little over a year, I have an 8 year old son Jaidyn by a prev. person, however my husband is adopting...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.