Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Childhood panic disorder
Anon_228309 posted:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has a child with anxiety or panic disorder. My 6 year old tends to panic right around dinner time. She is beyond a picky eater and kinda has a phobia towards certain foods. She has been unable to eat meat her ENTIRE life, even as a baby she wouldn't eat baby food containing meat and has always had a hard time trying new foods or foods not from a container.
Dinner time for some reason is always very tough for her. Foods that have been cooked in a pan seem to bother her. If she sees me putting in any kinda of seasoning while cooking she refuses to eat (even though I know for a fact she likes it and has eaten it before)
But, Even if we make something she likes and is very familiar with it, sometimes she still seems afraid to touch it if she hasn't had it recently. She panics at the dinner table and wont eat. Sometimes throwing tantrums. This has gotten better over time, so it's possible she may grow out of this but I'm sure it's more than just picky eating phase.
Other than the usual dinner time phobia which she seems to have, she is a very happy an energetic child. She is very bright and very well behaved accept for this food thing. She's not even afraid of the dark or of monsters or anything like that. Just food.
We can't really send her to a friends house overnight because she wont eat. She is not anorexic or anything like that. She just seems to be afraid of certain foods or the way they are cooked. She can't really seem to explain why she acts this way. I guess she's Afraid they will taste bad I guess.
I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with their child.
I've mentioned this to her pediatricians (we've been to a few) and they say she'll grow out of it and she's just picky. But she's been this way since birth.
anyone else who has children who seem to have a food phobia?

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Mom,

I am reading a fantastic book recommended by my daughters nutritionist, and it talks a lot about children like yours. I highly recommend you look into her writings.

This is the book I am reading http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Feeding-Healthy-Family-Orchestrating/dp/0967118921/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310512155&sr=1-4

She has written others about children/feeding/eating that I haven't read yet, but the one above is great!

Take care!
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Eli, and my husband's name is John. I have a stepson who is 14, who we have for the summer. John and I have 2 children together. Trista...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.