Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Kindergartener wont stop crying everyday when I drop her off at school
taz1276 posted:
How do I help my kindergartener stop crying everyday when I take her to school. she loves it once she is there but every morning she doesn't want to go. She screams and cries and I am worried that she may never stop. I've tried the show mommy that you are a big girl and don't cry, I have tried the you don't cry and I won't cry. and I have tried telling her that for every day that she doesn't cry when we go to school I will give her a dollar. so far nothing is working. What else can I do?

FCL responded:
How about presenting kindergarten as a highly desirable place to be? So far you've tried to console her about kindergarten and she's probably thriving on the attention (if only you knew how many children do this you would worry a lot less - I promise). So now it's time to make kindergarten a great place - a place where she doesn't want to miss a minute, how lucky she is to go there, emphasizing how lucky she is to see her friends every day, etc. Just an idea off the top of my head.

KC_94920 responded:
Drop and go with a kiss and a wave. Chances are you'll have less drama.

Mrshollyhocks replied to KC_94920's response:
Yeaaa!!! Agreed.

Mrshollyhocks replied to Mrshollyhocks's response:
DON'T BRIBE HER!!
I've been a volunteer at Head Start for years. That dollar becomes a big deal at school. She has one. They don't. She worries about it all day in her cubbie. Someone might want to take it.

Try pictures. Any teacher would understand. Laminate a page of family photos. Or tape them to a box that she can carry around. Also, if she has a blanket you can cut a piece for her to carry in her pocket. (My son would have died if you cut his blanket)

But all in all, she's going to be fine. The sooner you leave the sooner the teachers and volunteers can get her distracted.

Hang in there!! It's tougher on the caregivers than the kids.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom, wife and employee. I have two beautiful children 6(boy) and 8 (girl). We live in the beautiful Poconos of PA.

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.