Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    how to end your kid's friendship with another family?
    Anon_169444 posted:
    My kids started school friendships with siblings from another family they visit occasionally. When they were younger, we had no issues-everyone was on the same page with do's and don'ts. As they got a bit older, there were some things, such as certain video games and activities we fell a bit unsafe like motorized bikes, scooters, so I discussed this in a friendly matter of fact way. The parents seemed fine about it & respected those issues. Another issue came up, allowing the kids to walk on a dangerous road to go to a store to buy snacks, which I addressed. Things were ok again until I found out they were left unsupervised an entire visit. Then I find out from my kids a lot of other things I just don't approve of. This is such a difficult situation - we share many mutual friendships and circles, through school, church, sports, and other activities-I can't avoid them. What do I do now? How do you say to another parent, your kids can come here, but my kids can't go there.(the kids are actually nice kids-just a bit on the wild side) I think recently there are some family issues going on there, the mom is a bit of an outspoken person, that I sense can become confrontational.
    And, how do explain to my 3 kids why they can't have these friends anymore?

    This is very difficult for me?I dread it?and need help how to handle this, please.
    KC_94920 responded:
    I wouldn't tell your kids they can't be friends anymore, especially since the friends aren't harming your children in any wa and it's not possible to cut ties socially. I would however not allow my children to go to a home where they were not supervised. Period.

    We've had similar issues at one of my 6-year-old's friend's home (poor or lack of supervision) and since it bothers me, my DS does not go there alone any more. I like the kid and the mom but she's too busy and/or distarcted to care for the boys and they aren't old enough to make great decisions when together so, they play at my house and at school. DS doesn't know I feel this way and I'll never bad mouth the mom in front of him but I will do what is best for him. Chances are she won't confront you for offering to host time and time again but if she does just tell her that you're kids need to be with an adult and supervised at all times and that you know that isn't alwaysy possible with her schedule or whatever.
    Anon_169444 replied to KC_94920's response:
    I like the idea of saying my kids need to be supervised at all doesn't place the blame on the mom, but on me. Excellent advice and suggestion.
    Mrshollyhocks replied to Anon_169444's response:
    You are the mom. I don't let other kids decide if my son wears a seatbelt or not. You lay the law of the land.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    My partner and I have six children-the oldest three are grown up and on their own. The younger three are 16, 14, and 11. My 74 yo mother lives with us...More

    Helpful Tips

    Emoticon List
    Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    15 of 24 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.