Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MMR Vaccine
An_240362 posted:
When my daughter turned a year old and it was time for her immunizations I took her in to get them. The whole day she was fine and herself and then early the next morning, about 5am to be exact I woke up to her in full convulsions and turning blue. I called 911 and the ambulance came and took us to the ER. They asked if anything odd or unusual had happened within 48 hours and I told them she had her year old shots and the MMR. Now they say that it is due to febrile seizures but the crazy part is that she did not spike a fever, not once the whole time she got the shot until we got to the ER and she spiked a fever and had another seizure. They gave her something to stop the seizures and ran tests and they all came back okay. Then the worst part about the whole entire thing was that they have to do a spinal tap.
I am nervous to have her kindergarten shots done and I do not want them done. Any suggestions??

phoenix31674 responded:
Febrile seizures are generally a response to high fever (and body temp can fluctuate so she may have spiked a temp and then it almost immediately dropped back down before spiking again). While very frightening, they are generally harmless with most of the damage coming from the convulsing child falling off the bed or hitting nearby objects.

Bring this up with her doctor who can help you better understand the risk of repeat seizure vs the risk of not getting the vaccines. Remember, schools are germ factories. Would you feel worse if she suffered one or two brief seizures or came down with a potentially life threatening illness?

Here is a fact sheet from the National Institutes of Health, the Neurological division. Hopefully you did receive some of this information at the time of the first incident.

cindy2456 responded:
s

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been on this board about 3 years. DH and I have one DS, my miracle baby born when I was in my mid-40s. I had a post-partum DVT 2 weeks after hi...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.