Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Not sure how to take this
ladylynx19 posted:
My 7 year old son has a very wiggly tooth. Its at the point where one little yank and the thing would be out. Anyways, last night I was trying to convince my son the importance of getting that tooth out (since he no longer allows me to touch it) when he kneels down in tears and responds with "I'm a horrible kid" I instantly felt awful and hugged him reassuring him that he wasn't and had no reason to ever think that. Then of course I started feeling guilty and thinking things like "Maybe I tried pushing him too hard?" and "Do I make him feel like he's a horrible kid?" But then it made me think of young kids who committ suicide and I started to worry if he's depressed. How do I know if this little display is a cry of depression or the masterworkings of a 7 year old who knows what to say to get a parent to back off? I just don't want to ignore this if it could be something that needs further attention. FYI, he's normally a very happy kid but can be quite dramatic when he's mad or sad. Just curious if this is normal behavior for others the same age or if its something I need to seek professional help for. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Nyana responded:
My daughter is going through somewhat the same thing with my 7 year old grand daughter but she tells her " I just can't do anything right" and then goes running off to her room to flop onto her bed and stare at the ceiling for an hour,her pediatrician said that it is an emotional growth issue and to encourage as much as possible without crossing into giving in on discipline for other things and to seek a once a month counseling session if it persists more than six months there may be an underlying issue that no sees.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jenn 35 years old happily married for little over a year, I have an 8 year old son Jaidyn by a prev. person, however my husband is adopting...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.