Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
7 yr old boy refuses to eat!
gramycyn posted:
my 7 yr old grandson refuses to eat!! Oh, he will eat all the peanut butter sandwiches you give him, or applesauce, maybe a chicken nugget or two, of course he will eat anything sweet!! Poptarts, etc, but, when it comes to real food, hamburgers, hot dogs,(cooked on the grill), chili soup, any thing meat, he gags if you even ask him to just take one bite!! He says he doesn't like whatever you give him, unless its a sweet or peanut butter sandwich. I have asked him if he is doing this for attention, and he told me yes!! He is really thin, pale, and is moppey most the time. What can be done?? His parents have done different things to get him to eat, but to no avail. He has 2 younger sisters and 3 older soon to be step-brothers. They all eat normally, but, lately the youngest girl who is 3, is copying his bad behavior, refusing to eat too!! Their mother says they learned this from their father, who she is no longer with. What do you suggest anyone??

momuv4girls responded:
Family dynamics can play a big role in a child's mood, and their behavior. It sounds like there has been a divorce and step-children involved.
It sounds a bit more complex than just the food issue, but this may be a way your Grandson can control his world - by refusing food EVERYONE wants him to eat, and eating what HE wants.

I would seriously suggest family therapy for his family and siblings old enough to get something out of it, it could really help the tug-of-war struggles that may come up (not just food wise).

I would also highly suggest this book to you and his Mom and step-father:

http://www.ellynsatter.com/physical-products-books-secrets-of-feeding-healthy-family-p-791.html

It is a fantastic book with great ideas and tips on how to properly feed. It is particularly helpful for those who have "eating issues", but truthfully every family should read it.

Good luck, and take care!
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been on this board about 3 years. DH and I have one DS, my miracle baby born when I was in my mid-40s. I had a post-partum DVT 2 weeks after hi...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.