Skip to content
Daily stomach aches and vomiting at school.
aldstama posted:
My six year old son has recently started vomiting at school. This is new and just started this month. He has been going to school extremely excited to be going. We have taken him to the doctors and the doctor has said that there is nothing wrong with him. We have changed what he takes for lunch everyday just a couple of days ago and my wife has been going to see him at lunch time for the past couple of days. Even on the days that he comes home from school when he gets home he is perfectly healthy, with a good appetite and playful. Then now this morning he asked to miss school. We do not want to force him to go but it is important that he does not miss much school. We don't know what to do since while at home he seems to be fine. We have asked him if some one is bullying him or something to that affect and he says no. Thank in advance for all of the help!

momuv4girls responded:
It sounds like anxiety to me - - that is if his pedi has ruled out anything physical.

It is not uncommon for children to have symptoms such as a stomach ache when they are feeling internally stressed.

Your son probably doesn't even realize what it is either, 6 year olds have a hard time understanding their feelings.

It sounds like you guys are doing a good job of trying to comfort him, by seeing him at lunchtime and being with him afterschool.

I would continue to reassure him that he is "okay", and gently encourage him to go to school, (even if he's a bit late).

You don't want him to get in the habit of staying home too much, because the more he stays home, it may get harder and harder to get him to go.

By the by, is he in K, or 1st grade ?? I was thinking if he is in 1st grade, maybe the work / school life is getting too overwhelming for him?? - just a thought.

-Kathleen

aldstama replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you for the reply. As of now we have learned that he is constipated, we are treating him with miralax and seems to be doing well at home and will see tomorrow when school starts. It took three visits to the pediatrician in a week but it was determined through x-rays that he has a bit of constipation and maybe some reflux issues.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jenn 35 years old happily married for little over a year, I have an 8 year old son Jaidyn by a prev. person, however my husband is adopting...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.