Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Possible OCD?
An_242006 posted:
My 6 year pld daughter has been seemingly obsessed with sexual and also violent thoughts. She is generally very sweet and sensitive, but I am very comcerned about her recent thoughts and conversations about sex and hurting others including my husband and her two brothers.

She is aware these thoughts are bad, but I try to console her by saying that everyone has bad thoughts sometimes and as long as we don't act on them it is ok. I am not sure that is even the right thing to say, but I don't want her to feel ashamed of herself.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!!

momuv4girls responded:
I think you are right to be concerned, this is not "typical" 6-year old behavior, and she probably can not control her thoughts.

When a child is struggling with obsessive thoughts or behaviors, I believe it is very important to seek out a professional to help her.

I would find an experienced, smart, Ph.D. Child Psychologist to see her. The key is a smart, qualified, good Dr. - not your run of the mill "therapist".
You want to get to the root of your daughters thoughts and help her to feel better.

That is the very best advice I can give you.

Take care!
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Name is Norma. I am a working mother of a 7 year old son named A.J. He is the light of my life. I have been blessed with a very handsome son who ha...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.