Skip to content
Hello everyone
Lopersgrl posted:
I am new to this particular board. I have recently gotten custody of my 7 year old nephew from my husband side of the family. we tried to get him when he was a baby but it didnt work out that way and then one day a week before school started we got a call saying they couldnt do it any more and we needed to take him.

I am completely overwhelmed and I have no idea what I am doing. I always thought I was going to be a great mother but I am finding myself in over my head and aggravated every time I turn around. I stay so aggravated with him all the time that I feel like I am always yelling at him. I keep telling myself it will get better but it doesnt seem to be. I know that the things he is doing are normal for his age but I can't seem to overcome them.

I am only 22 and taking care of a 7 year old that isn't mine. Anyone can see this is a less than perfect situation but I need to be able to make the best of it for his sake and I dont know how. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
momuv4girls responded:
I think parenting classes would be a terrific place to start. If you are not sure how to find them in your area, I would look up local Child Psychologist's and call their office for references.
You could also ask local pediatrician's.

Obviously this 7 year old has gone through a lot, and he may need some counseling services himself.

Take care,
Lopersgrl replied to momuv4girls's response:
Yeah thanks for the advice. I found a family counseling center in my area and I am going to talk to them about maybe putting all 3 of us in family counseling. My husband is adjusting well but I am not. I think talking to a family counselor would be beneficial for all of us. I want to do anything to make sure we get the best out of this situation and he grows up with the best childhood possible.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kirsten and I'm a single mom to Katlyn, who is 8, and Belle who is 6. Katlyn has ADHD, OCD and probable Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Belle ...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful