Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hello everyone
Lopersgrl posted:
I am new to this particular board. I have recently gotten custody of my 7 year old nephew from my husband side of the family. we tried to get him when he was a baby but it didnt work out that way and then one day a week before school started we got a call saying they couldnt do it any more and we needed to take him.

I am completely overwhelmed and I have no idea what I am doing. I always thought I was going to be a great mother but I am finding myself in over my head and aggravated every time I turn around. I stay so aggravated with him all the time that I feel like I am always yelling at him. I keep telling myself it will get better but it doesnt seem to be. I know that the things he is doing are normal for his age but I can't seem to overcome them.

I am only 22 and taking care of a 7 year old that isn't mine. Anyone can see this is a less than perfect situation but I need to be able to make the best of it for his sake and I dont know how. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

momuv4girls responded:
I think parenting classes would be a terrific place to start. If you are not sure how to find them in your area, I would look up local Child Psychologist's and call their office for references.
You could also ask local pediatrician's.

Obviously this 7 year old has gone through a lot, and he may need some counseling services himself.

Take care,
-Kathleen

Lopersgrl replied to momuv4girls's response:
Yeah thanks for the advice. I found a family counseling center in my area and I am going to talk to them about maybe putting all 3 of us in family counseling. My husband is adjusting well but I am not. I think talking to a family counselor would be beneficial for all of us. I want to do anything to make sure we get the best out of this situation and he grows up with the best childhood possible.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Momma of 6 children, 3 beautiful girls ages, 20, 26, and 27 and 3 handsome boys ages, 21, 16, and 14. My 26 and 27 year old have finished college. My ...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.