Skip to content
Books
mrswhitecastle posted:
I am amazed at how well Emily can read! I know I was older before I could read as well as she does.

I was looking through her book order yesterday, and saw Encyclopedia Brown and Nancy Drew books. I can't believe she is old enough for them already.

Does anyone have good suggestions for books now that DC is reading independently?

(BTW, I have checked out the Junie B. Jones books, and I hate them!)
Emily (6) Elizabeth (5)

kc_94920 responded:
I'm with you on the Junie B. books! We received a set for DD1's 5th birthday and barely made it half a chapter before donating the whole lot. I have similar feelings about the Katie Kazoo books and all things Captain Underpants.

DD2 is in 3rd grade but has been an avid reader since she was your DD's age. I think her favorites have always been mysteries and she started with series like: Nate the Great, Cam Jansen, A-Z Mysteries (she loved these), Stink (this is Judy Moody's little brother and the books are a bit easier than the actual Judy Moody series), Magic Treehouse, Judy Moody series, The Ramona books (also a big hit--she read them all), and the Rainbow Fairies series (she read these early on in first grade and I thought they were decent and age appropriate. Of the hundereds they probably have now, she most enjoyed the original Rainbow Fairies, The Sports fairies and The Pet Fairies.

M is now into things like 39 Clues, Hugo Cabret, Wonderlust, The Secrets of Droon (great series of shorter paperback stories if your DD likes fantasy) and as of yesterday, The Tails of Emily Windsnap.

HTH's.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Eli, and my husband's name is John. I have a stepson who is 14, who we have for the summer. John and I have 2 children together. Trista...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.