Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
afraid of curly hair
sarahogan posted:
Hello,
My 6 year old son is afraid of curly hair. At first I thought it was he just didn't like it, because in December when we were planning his birthday party, he told me there were certain kids he didn't want to invite to his party, all of those kids have curly hair, and that was his only reason for not wanting to invite them. I told him he had to invite them anyway because we were inviting his whole class.
Then as the months went on, anytime he saw someone with curly hair, he would try to hide or runaway. Yesterday, my hubby and I were going to watch Doctor Who on Netflix and my son started panicking and said, no, you can't watch it. I asked him why and he said because he has curly hair. I told him the one we were watching didn't have curly hair and he said ok and he was fine as we watched it. Then I asked him why it was wrong to have curly hair and he said curly hair was scary.
We sat down and talked about it and he can't give me a reason why curly hair scares him, but most people that we know with curly hair are kind of scary to him, even those we have known for a long time.
Help! How do I help him overcome this? The curls that scare him the most are long ringlet type curls and big curls that are close to the head. And before you ask, no, he doesn't really have any experience with clowns, however I'm sure a clowns hair would terrify him.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Katie (35), married to Randy, and a SAHM of 4 beautiful children. Ella (6 1/2- first grade), Owen (5- preschool), Connor (3 1/2), Lilly (19 mo...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.