Skip to content
Children that have Panic Attacks
Trista173 posted:
My daughter is 8 years old, and within the past year we have noticed that she has had episodes of panic attacks a hand full of time. I have found our remedies, but would like to know what others do to calm their children down.

Also how common is it for a child of this age to have panic attacks, I have spoken to 3 Mothers at her school and all 3 little girls have them.

Thanks.

momuv4girls responded:
For my daughter we use talk therapy. We found a really good Child Psychologist who has established a good relationship with my daughter and she has helped her tremendously!!

I think its important for the child to learn what triggers the attacks and how to cope when they begin to feel out of control.

Take care,
-Kathleen

Trista173 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you Kathleen.

How old is your child, may I ask? That was one of things we have been working on is what triggers such attacks.

My daughter is active in soccer, and has been for the past 4 years now. If she has a hard practice (just at practice) when its time to cool down on the drive home, this is when they start. I have found the natural herbs have calmed her down, and speaking to my Mom. We have found Cold Water to help as well.

I have been curious as to what others due, and the ages of the children.

She just seems so young for all of this, but after reading a few boards a lot if happening at the age of 8 years old nowadays.

kc_94920 replied to Trista173's response:
What is she stressing over that is causing her to panic? What happens to her during these episodes? None of my kids (4, 7 and 9) have had what I would called a panic attack although they sometimes feel nervous in new environments and have the occasional meltdown after a hard, exausting day/game/workout. I try to stay ahread of this by making sure they are well fed, hydrated and not over tired.

momuv4girls replied to Trista173's response:
Hi again Trista,

My daughter started talk therapy at age 7 and she is now 12.

Coping skills are a big part of life, while my daughter has more issues than panic attacks, she takes medicine AND does talk therapy.

I believe medications are only a partial fix. Over the years she has learned a lot about herself and self soothing techniques.

Take care, and the best to you and your daughter!
-Kathleen

Trista173 replied to kc_94920's response:
She gets scared when she feels her body/heart moving fast after practice. Then she gets nervous, and it stems from that. Lately we have been ahead of the game, and I seem more prepared. I don't know if I would actually call them "panic attacks". But that is the closest thing I can compare it too.

Myusername1 replied to Trista173's response:
I know this thread is old, I just found it in a google search I am doing, because I think my daughter (9) may have behavioural inhibition due to low muscle tone. My daughter freaquently has panic attacks, and I am reading if they have low muscle tone it is because they know what their body can and cannot do, and are freaked out by it! Some interesting reading: http://www.skillsforaction.com/low-muscle-tone
and http://www.skillsforaction.com/highly-sensitive-child

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jenn 35 years old happily married for little over a year, I have an 8 year old son Jaidyn by a prev. person, however my husband is adopting...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful