Skip to content
Children that have Panic Attacks
Trista173 posted:
My daughter is 8 years old, and within the past year we have noticed that she has had episodes of panic attacks a hand full of time. I have found our remedies, but would like to know what others do to calm their children down.

Also how common is it for a child of this age to have panic attacks, I have spoken to 3 Mothers at her school and all 3 little girls have them.

Thanks.

momuv4girls responded:
For my daughter we use talk therapy. We found a really good Child Psychologist who has established a good relationship with my daughter and she has helped her tremendously!!

I think its important for the child to learn what triggers the attacks and how to cope when they begin to feel out of control.

Take care,
-Kathleen

Trista173 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you Kathleen.

How old is your child, may I ask? That was one of things we have been working on is what triggers such attacks.

My daughter is active in soccer, and has been for the past 4 years now. If she has a hard practice (just at practice) when its time to cool down on the drive home, this is when they start. I have found the natural herbs have calmed her down, and speaking to my Mom. We have found Cold Water to help as well.

I have been curious as to what others due, and the ages of the children.

She just seems so young for all of this, but after reading a few boards a lot if happening at the age of 8 years old nowadays.

kc_94920 replied to Trista173's response:
What is she stressing over that is causing her to panic? What happens to her during these episodes? None of my kids (4, 7 and 9) have had what I would called a panic attack although they sometimes feel nervous in new environments and have the occasional meltdown after a hard, exausting day/game/workout. I try to stay ahread of this by making sure they are well fed, hydrated and not over tired.

momuv4girls replied to Trista173's response:
Hi again Trista,

My daughter started talk therapy at age 7 and she is now 12.

Coping skills are a big part of life, while my daughter has more issues than panic attacks, she takes medicine AND does talk therapy.

I believe medications are only a partial fix. Over the years she has learned a lot about herself and self soothing techniques.

Take care, and the best to you and your daughter!
-Kathleen

Trista173 replied to kc_94920's response:
She gets scared when she feels her body/heart moving fast after practice. Then she gets nervous, and it stems from that. Lately we have been ahead of the game, and I seem more prepared. I don't know if I would actually call them "panic attacks". But that is the closest thing I can compare it too.

Myusername1 replied to Trista173's response:
I know this thread is old, I just found it in a google search I am doing, because I think my daughter (9) may have behavioural inhibition due to low muscle tone. My daughter freaquently has panic attacks, and I am reading if they have low muscle tone it is because they know what their body can and cannot do, and are freaked out by it! Some interesting reading: http://www.skillsforaction.com/low-muscle-tone
and http://www.skillsforaction.com/highly-sensitive-child

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single mom of 3. My daughter is 18, my sons are 5 and 2. I work in the medical field as an radiologic technologist. I am home with my sons duri...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.