Skip to content
Short for her age.
vanursh posted:
My daughter just turned 10 and she is only 4 feet tall and skinny. She has always been little and very low on the scale, but I am still concerned. The doc said he may want to do blood work, but in that next 6 months she gained an inch, so he said it wasn't necessary. She eats like the food is gonna disappear and is doing very well in school, but does complain sometimes that she wishes she were taller. Has anyone else had a child small like this that had a growth spurt and grew much taller?

kc_94920 responded:
Are you and her father tall or short? It sounds like she's been on the low end of the growth curve for a while so it may just be that she will always be a smaller person. I'm only 5'2" and didn't weigh even close to 100 pounds until I was close to 30 but it's never bothered me at all. It's just me. My kids however, are giants, and have always been above the 75 percentile (usually closer to the 90-98 percent range) but I have to believe it will even out and slow down given my height and the fact that DH is only 5'11". DS is just 7 and is 51.5" tall, my 9.5 year old DD is 54" tall. My baby is 4 and despite being one of the youngest in her class is one of the tallest at 44 inches (only 4 inces less than your 10 year old). LOL.

All that aside, I think growing an inch in 6 months at 9.5 is a pretty good growth spurt. Hopefully she can learn to love her body and accept her size for what it is. Good luck!

fcl responded:
I have twin daughters and they are both at different ends of the growth curve. They're 9. L?onie is 4'1" and Estelle is nearly 5'. One got the tall genes and the other the short ones. Both are perfectly proportional for their heights. L?onie is also a big eater - we have wondered if she didn't have hollow legs because we really don't know where she puts it I don't worry about it - we have a great variation in sizes in the family and, as long as our doc doesn't seem worried and as long as they're healthy their heights don't matter to me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single mom of 3. My daughter is 18, my sons are 5 and 2. I work in the medical field as an radiologic technologist. I am home with my sons duri...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.