Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OMG! Summer Camp!
kc_94920 posted:
So, I just officially registered and paid in full for DD1's very first week of sleep away summer camp. I researched myself into a frenzy but finally found a place that met all of my qualifications (child/staff ratio, distance from home, variety of activities, camp policies, etc). I can honestly say I feel good about this and am (almost) comfortable with her going 300 miles away. She'll go in mid-August (she'll be six weeks shy of 10 at that point) for seven nights and will have one friend from school there at the same time. It's technology free which we're both excited about and she can't wait to be independant, meet new friends, hang out by the campfire and try water skiing, archery and wake boarding. My mom could never afford to send me to summer camp, although I did go to a Girl Scout Camp once and loved it!

Anyone already been through this? Any thoughts or tips on what to send/not to send that may not be on the camp's packing list? TIA!

iocasta responded:
Congrats. This is a big step. We have started to research sleep away camps for Levi. There is a particular camp in Maine that we want to send him. He could go at age 8 for 10 days. We will likely do this with DH and I hanging out somewhere in Maine so as not to be for far from him. As for packing, the camp should send you a list of necessary items.

This summer he will be at day camp where they field a strong competitive swim team. So he will be swimming 9 times a week for 8 weeks this summer.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Katie (35), married to Randy, and a SAHM of 4 beautiful children. Ella (6 1/2- first grade), Owen (5- preschool), Connor (3 1/2), Lilly (19 mo...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.