Skip to content
My 8 yo son has no friends
Laur78 posted:
My son will be 8 in August, and he doesn't have any friends. As far as I can tell it doesn't even bother him. But, it bothers me tremendously. He seems to get along fine with most kids, and he has a younger brother and cousins who he plays with as well. Just yesterday I asked if there was anyone he'd like to invite over to play, and he said no. He said he doesn't want anyone to come over or to go over to anyone's house because it's boring. I guess if having no friends doesn't bother him I should let it go. But, I have two fears. One is that he's lying and that it does bother him. And, two I fear this isn't healthy.

Thoughts?

shae_brinn responded:
Oddly enough I came here to post for the first about something very similar. My daughter is 9 and has no friends. Although I wish I could offer you advice I don't really know what to do either. But I can offer support and let you know that you are not alone in your concern. My daughter doesn't seem to realize that she doesn't have friends. In fact she calls other kids her friends when they don't treat as such. I can't say whether or not your son is lying but I guess its not unhealthy if he recognizes he doesn't have friends but is okay with that. Growing up I didn't have many friends but I was okay with that because I was really shy and preferred to be alone.

Concernedmamaof2girls responded:
My thoughts would be to try to talk to him about it if he will. If he wont, I would maybe go into his school and talk to the counsler there and see maybe if they can observe his behavior and maybe see if this is a start of a social disorder. I actually have someone in my family that was exactly like this and when they became an adult, it was terrible...they couldnt even go shopping at the grocery store because they were afraid that someone they knew would see them out in public...it is called social anxiety...its a type of phobia that takes over a person. I would def watch this so he doesnt miss out on alot of things in life. good luck

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom, wife and employee. I have two beautiful children 6(boy) and 8 (girl). We live in the beautiful Poconos of PA.

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.