Skip to content
My 7 year old is suffering from pain in his left leg every night
shanukushi posted:
Hi,

My 7 year old son has been suffering with pain in his left leg every night. this has been going on for almost 4 weeks now. I took him to the doctor and the doctor took the X-rays and did some blood work. The results were all negative and they concluded them to be a growing pain. But I am really concerned about the pain he is getting every night. I talked to many friends whose kids also had these episodes of growing pains, and read through many articles, blogs etc, but none of them mentioned that their kids have the pains every night.
With my son's symptoms, he is very active and doesn't complain of any pain during day time. He goes to Soccer and Karate and is pretty much active during the day time. But as soon as the day ends, sometimes he gets the pain during the mid night and some times after dinner time or before he goes to bed. The Doc asked me to give the Advil for his pain. But, I don't want to do that every night. Is there anyone who came across the same situation with their kids? What should I do to help him go over this painful episode. I am trying all kinds of methods like massage, hot packs, giving him bananas before bed time, glass of warm milk and what not. I am really worried and I am even taking him to Rheumatology in 2 weeks. In the meanwhile any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mrswhitecastle responded:
Hi! My 7 year old gets growing pains, too. She'll have them every night for a week or so, and then they go away for awhile. 4 weeks does seem like a long time to have them every night.

How bad is his pain? Does it keep him up at night?

I don't know if you have tried this or not, but I would see what happened after a day of not doing much. Maybe on Saturday, for example, make him play quietly all day -- no running, jumping, etc. See if he has pain that night.

I know that my daughter can be a drama queen. Sometimes a spoonful of syrup works just as well as a spoonful of medicine. I might try giving him something that he thinks is medicine (but really isn't) and see if he thinks that helps him just as much as Advil.

Hopefully the doctor in 2 weeks can help you out.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

shanukushi replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Hi WHiteCastle,

Thanks for your reply. When my son gets the pain it wakes him up and he cries. I used to give him the Advil and he used to go back to sleep. But since past 3 days I decided to not give him any medicines no matter what. The first night I didn't give him any medicine, when he complained of the pain I went and massaged his leg and cuddled him. He went back to sleep. Next day I put his bed in my bedroom and boom the pain has gone after some time. Yesterday there is no pain at all although I applied tigerbalm before he went to bed. I don't know what is going on afterall. I will keep an eye for few more days to see how he is doing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have twins (boy & girl) and one has ADD so I am interested in tips, advice, etc. I work for a parenting website which is a great place to find ...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.