Skip to content
2.5 years toddler - school going vomits at school
adey786 posted:
Dear All - My daughter is 2.5 years old and she has recently started going to the school 2 weeks ago. She has been going to school for 5 days in the morning from 8 am to 12.15 pm. These days she woke up at 7 am (sleeps at 10 pm. Earlier on , she used to get back as late as 10 or 11 am while sleeping at or around 12 am or sometimes 1 am). She does not eat a lot in the morning (normally takes half bottle of milk and that is it).

I will appreciate if community can share some thoughts particularly :

1)- Do we need to take her to doctor as may be there is a physical condition?
2)- She also cries a lot in the morning when she goes to school ? Any helpful suggestions would be welcomed
3)- She also has a fear of sitting alone in car as in the morning I drive and my wife sit back with her. The plan is to have her sit in car seat alone while my wife drives. We are also struggling with developing this habit of hers.

Thanks and Regards

Adnan

mrswhitecastle responded:
Is she crying so hard that it makes her throw up?

I'm not sure I completely understand what time she goes to bed, but it certainly sounds like she isn't getting enough sleep. At 2.5, my girls were going to bed between 7 and 7:30, and getting up between 7 and 8 in the morning. If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like sometimes she doesn't go to bed until midnight or later. Even if it is 10 pm, I don't think she is getting enough sleep. That would contribute to the crying and not wanting to eat in the morning.

If you don't want to sit in the back with her -- don't. She probably isn't afraid, she probably just likes to have the company. Try giving her some toys or books to keep her busy while she is sitting in the back by herself. Talking to her or singing with her while you drive will also help her understand you are still there and giving her attention. She'll get used to it.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

kc_94920 responded:
I think your first problem is that she is not getting as much sleep as a preschooler needs. At 2.5 my kids needed 10-12 hours of sleep at night plus a 1-2 hour nap after lunch--so for starters she's going to need you to set up a new bedtime, morning and eating schedule. This will become even more important as she gets older and closer to grade school age.

It seems unfair to expect her to deal with all these changes and not cry so I doubt she has a physical condition, she'd just trying to adjust to too many changes at once. Set her up to succede by making her a good healthy breakfast and then offer the milk (in a cup), make sure she gets enough sleep and try not to drag out the drop off at school- just make it quick. Two of my three kids cried at driop off for their first few weeks of preschool and one cried for about a month as we'd get ready to go. They all adjusted in their own time and none are scarred from the experience.

As for the car rides, have your wife stop sitting in the back for good. Your child should be capable of riding in the back seat herself. Offer up books, toys and snacks and stay consistent. She may cry but she will get over it (like most bad habits) once she realizes she is ok.

adey786 replied to kc_94920's response:
Thanks Mrs White and KC_94920. Your comments are really helpful. I will keep a tab on her sleeping routine, and see how it works for her. The way you are explaining, she is not taking much sleep when compared to yardstick of 10 hours (couple of times when we woke her up at 7 am (she slept at around 10 pm), she wanted to go to bed...

By the way, I forgot to mention that, in the very first week of her joining school, there was a birthday party at school. In last 6 months, she has developed a fear of ballon busting and even at home, she looks for a hideout when we fill air in balloon or toy. That specific day she cried at school (the teacher later told she was crying as she did not want to see air being filled in the ballons). Can I take it as a reason for fear? Any remedies to take this fear out ? I am askig same questions from my mom and my wifes mom.

Thank you and Best Regards

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have twins (boy & girl) and one has ADD so I am interested in tips, advice, etc. I work for a parenting website which is a great place to find ...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.