Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
stuttering blocking in 6 year old
Anon_54361 posted:
My daughter a first grader, 6 year old, will turn 7 in march. She has started to stutter a little bit since the last month or so , she stutters and blocks when she has to talk to other people, not inside the family ( mom dad and brother). She was not a very social person to begin with but would talk and answer when asked, But now when asked her name or her school, she blocks out and not able to tell it, but she can tell me the same when I ask her? I have asked the school guidance counseller for a speech evaluation and also taking her to the pediatrician, i am just worried as a mom. Please let me know if this is something to be worried, i have noticed that she stutters or blocks more when shes outside than at home.

mrswhitecastle responded:
It sounds like her nerves are getting the best of her. An appointment with the pedi and speech evaluation sound like a good idea. They will be able to determine if it is a medical issue. And, if it is because she is nervous, they will be able to come up with a plan to help her with that, too.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been on this board about 3 years. DH and I have one DS, my miracle baby born when I was in my mid-40s. I had a post-partum DVT 2 weeks after hi...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.