Skip to content
Daughter 9 years starting puberty but very quickly- spotting and breast buds
LittleFish1 posted:
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to any kind of online forums but was looking for some input about my 9 year old daughter. My daughter is 9 and will be 10 in about a month. She spotted about 2 months ago (very little)with no signs of breast buds, hormonal changes/emotion. She has not developed any pubic hair any where.

She's not spotted since but now VERY suddenly has breast buds have appeared and they are very large. They are over a quarter in size. She has inner thigh cramps and lower leg cramps. From what I've read, everyone is different with how they develop. I've been on dozens of online forums and the majority seems to say that pubic/breast buds and then period later that year or two. I've also read that a period should start usually when the girl reaches around 100 pounds. My daughter is only 56 pounds in 4th grade and is the size of a 2nd grader. Shes very lean and muscular. She is also, for the most part, a vegetarian.

So I'm looking to advice if its possible for my daughter to start her period with being so small? Also some advice on when to buy her a bra? Shes a size 6 and from what I can tell, we're going to have trouble finding bras that fit her? Any other Moms out there with tiny daughters who started their period early? It seems as if she's been suddenly hit by a gigantic hormonal brick wall. Unexpected, I thought it would be more gradual. Anyone else have it happen very fast to them too?

Extra info.. I started my period when I was 13 and it was very sudden, heavy, and I developed very very quickly. There was no waiting for development when I hit puberty. My husbands family started at 12 and they are very small boned. I am by no means a small framed person. I'm tall, big and strong. lol. I had a hard time getting though my own puberty as I didn't have any support at all with my own mom. I want to get it "right" with my own daughter. ;oD

Thank you in advance

punkgirl responded:
My daughter started her period at 10 (she is still 10) she is 64lbs (barely) and is real tall. I didn't start until i was 14-15. She has tummy pains every month but no bleeding most of the time which is normal. She is also real small boned. My tall and skinny girl. I was real active I rode my bike, walked and swam almost daily and have a much bigger bone structure. With the bra thing I have found many in small size they are just training bras and you find them in the girls section by the underwear. I have seen them at WM as small as a size 5/6 (the size i use with my little girl is 7). I have already bought them for my little girl so she gets used to wearing them, though for now I don't force her to wear them. They also have tween deodorant and pads which are perfect for the small stature of young starters, They are a bit smaller then the "adult" ones.

LittleFish1 replied to punkgirl's response:
Hi punkgirl,
Yes, this makes sense to me about the tummy pains. I never knew! My daughter actually spotted, then seemed to have tummy pains and also some pms symptoms. I have not prepared her with a "talk" about things and kind of cluing her in slowly over past month and kind of preparing her mind a bit. How much info did you divulge to your daughter if you don't mind me asking. Its been suggested to me to just provide base info without the sex talk due to her age. Thats what I'm doing for now, until there are more progressions with her actual period. Its good to hear from a mom with a daughter that is smaller in weight. I've mainly see posts about bigger more developed girls getting their period. Hopefully, this can help some others out there on the net with the same question.

Thanks on the bra search, and your info. This makes me feel more confident in my gut feelings on what I think may happen with my daughter. I really appreciate you posting!

LilMomma74 responded:
I also have a 9yr old who is 55lbs & very lean & is gonna be taller than me & her 19yr old sister who had pre-coccious puberty. My 9yr c/o pain this past wknd on her rt breast. Being a previous gynecology nurse, I did a breast exam & found that she had a nickel size lump on her rt breast, but it moved around 2 wherever I touched. The Lft 1 did NOT have anything. She went 2 see the Dr 2day & said it was breast budding, but my research Never said anything about the bud being able 2 move around. Is this normal????? My other daughter did Not have this, & I am very concerned. She very active in, cheerleading & gymnastics & track. Very active 4 a 3rd grader! Anybody who has experienced this w/their daughter, I would greatly like 2 know, even from WebMD!!! Ty in advance!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My partner and I have six children-the oldest three are grown up and on their own. The younger three are 16, 14, and 11. My 74 yo mother lives with us...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.