Skip to content
9 Yr Old Son Makes Himself the Outsider with His Friends...
ougirl91 posted:
My 9yr old son is a well behaved, intelligent young boy, but I am really seeing him struggle with friends. When he is with a group of friends, he always wants to "go against the group" so to speak. For example, if all the kids say "Hey let's ride our bikes to the park!", he'll be the only one to say "No, I don't want to go to the park"...so he'll stay behind and sulk that they didn't want to do what he wanted. Then he eventually ends up riding to the park by himself. He tries to make everyone play what he wants to play and doesn't understand that if he gives a little to them, maybe they will play what he wants to. It is so frustrating to watch this take place. He is a generally caring, empathetic child...but when it comes to friends, he is "my way or the highway". Anyone else experience this? My son has also been recently diagnosed with the Inattentive form of ADD.

momuv4girls responded:
A child psychologist may be helpful. There are clinics that form "groups" for children who need help with social interaction.

Some children are just not flexible, and a good child psychologist can work with the child and teach them different coping strategies and how to get along with peers.

- Just a thought!
Take care,
-Kathleen

ougirl91 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thanks Kathleen...yes, I've tossed that idea around as well...and I know of a good child psychologist in our area. My only hesitation with that is....he is very anxious and sensitive to anything being "wrong" with him (for example, if he's sick etc). So I'm afraid tat seeing a psychologist will make him worry about himself or feel like something is "wrong" with him. But nonetheless, I may still do that. Ugh...he's a tough one to figure out.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions...anything helps!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Name is Norma. I am a working mother of a 7 year old son named A.J. He is the light of my life. I have been blessed with a very handsome son who ha...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.