Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    9 Yr Old Son Makes Himself the Outsider with His Friends...
    ougirl91 posted:
    My 9yr old son is a well behaved, intelligent young boy, but I am really seeing him struggle with friends. When he is with a group of friends, he always wants to "go against the group" so to speak. For example, if all the kids say "Hey let's ride our bikes to the park!", he'll be the only one to say "No, I don't want to go to the park" he'll stay behind and sulk that they didn't want to do what he wanted. Then he eventually ends up riding to the park by himself. He tries to make everyone play what he wants to play and doesn't understand that if he gives a little to them, maybe they will play what he wants to. It is so frustrating to watch this take place. He is a generally caring, empathetic child...but when it comes to friends, he is "my way or the highway". Anyone else experience this? My son has also been recently diagnosed with the Inattentive form of ADD.
    momuv4girls responded:
    A child psychologist may be helpful. There are clinics that form "groups" for children who need help with social interaction.

    Some children are just not flexible, and a good child psychologist can work with the child and teach them different coping strategies and how to get along with peers.

    - Just a thought!
    Take care,
    ougirl91 replied to momuv4girls's response:
    Thanks Kathleen...yes, I've tossed that idea around as well...and I know of a good child psychologist in our area. My only hesitation with that is....he is very anxious and sensitive to anything being "wrong" with him (for example, if he's sick etc). So I'm afraid tat seeing a psychologist will make him worry about himself or feel like something is "wrong" with him. But nonetheless, I may still do that. Ugh...he's a tough one to figure out.
    Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions...anything helps!

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    My partner and I have six children-the oldest three are grown up and on their own. The younger three are 16, 14, and 11. My 74 yo mother lives with us...More

    Helpful Tips

    Emoticon List
    Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    15 of 24 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.