Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Getting Kids Out the Door in the Morning
An_253611 posted:
I need HELP. Every single morning, it is a struggle to get my kids (4 & 6) up and ready to go to school. They're in the bed by 7:30pm and we have to wake up at 6am-ish because it takes them so long to get ready. I just started a new job, I'm newly divorced and I cannot risk losing this job. I wake them up each morning w/a song and then I wash their faces while holding and hugging them. Their hot breakfast is waiting for them by the time they make it to the table. And then they sit there, comatose. I know they're sleepy, so I try more singing...even played the stereo for a little while. I have to constantly encourage, then remind, the tell them to eat. Every single morning, they move slowly as tho' we have nowhere to go. My son isn't a morning person and my daughter's only 4, thus the 7:30pm bedtime. I put a list of steps on the wall in the bathroom for him for a year now and he still won't read it unless I make him. Their clothes are already laid out for the week, so they only have to put them on. I have read and implemented every tip, but to no avail. Every morning is a war to get out of the house on time. I'm at my wit's end. I'm at the brink of tears almost every morning because I hate fussing at my babies. I want to be a better mom....but I just don't know what else to do, what other strategy to implement.

earleyml1012 responded:
I'm assuming the 4 yr old goes to daycare and does your older one have some kind of care before school? I love that you make them a hot breakfast but if they are going to daycare, can't you just pack them something? It seems to me that the sitting down to eat is causing some issues, like it allows them to just sit instead of getting themselves moving. Here is our morning for a 4 and 1 yr old. We watch them up around 6:15 for diaper change/potty. Then the oldest picks out her clothes and we change the little one. After that, they both come into the bathroom and I take turns brushing teeth and doing hair. As I finish up on one child, my husband puts shoes/coat on the other. Then I help the other one with this task. We grab their breakfast bags and our lunch boxes and out the door we go (6:40). If you have the option of them eating bfast somewhere else, it would cut back on the time you need for them to get ready in the morning. They are older too, so I would do some kind of reward chart or punishment at the end of the day if they can't get themselves ready in time. You might have to be a little harder on them at first but after a few weeks of consistent behavior modification it should work.

An_253611 replied to earleyml1012's response:
Thx so much. Both are in school, but the school only serves lunch. My friend's recommendation was similar to the one you offered. So, I bought some frozen breakfast sandwiches and it didn't go over well. However, I'll keep trying different things until I find something that'll work. I should have also mentioned that we only live 5 mins from the school, so there's not even enough time to chow down in the car. I do have a chart (which works well), but they rarely earn stars for eating their breakfast. i really appreciate your suggestions and will definitely try the breakfast bag. please remember to tell me what you put in it.

earleyml1012 replied to An_253611's response:
Can they eat bfast at school? We put things like half bagel, english muffin, cereal (my kids eat it dry), yogurt (you could do those gogurts) and fruit...kind of mix it up and then put a small reusable bottle of milk. Good luck! I hope you find something to make their morning routnees better.

Also, have you tried talking to them about the seriousness of them getting up and ready each morning? Try doinging this in the evenings when they are alert and awake, not the best time to lecture in the morning.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Name is Norma. I am a working mother of a 7 year old son named A.J. He is the light of my life. I have been blessed with a very handsome son who ha...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.