Skip to content
6 year old boy pooping in his pants
juliansmama07 posted:
My son is 6, will be 7 in June. He recently came home from a week visit with his dad and everyday since he has had a poop accident in his pants. He has also waited to tell me each time till I smelled it or tonight he told me when I was getting his bath ready. He ha never had a problem since before potty training and I am just at a loss. Today makes 5 days in a row. I have asked him why, or if something is wrong and he says I don't know or that he could not hold it or his teacher would not let hi go. I am just so confused and at the end of my limit. Yesterday he lost his favorite privileges for the day as punishment but today he did it again and e sat in it for at least 3 hours to avoid telling me till the last possible moment. Has anyone ever had a child that went through this? he is going to be punished the rest of the week at this point but I am just not sure if it is pure laziness or something more serious. Please any suggestions or ideas would help

momuv4girls responded:
When a child does something "out of the blue" such as this, I would take it as a red flag.
There could be an emotional reason behind your son's behavior, and with him being so young, I doubt he can communicate that to you.

Divorce, visiting another parents home, different environment is very difficult on most young ones.

I would suggest finding a really good Child Psychologist to see your son.
I don't believe punishment is the way to fix this problem, that will most likely make your son more distraught and cause other issues.

Take care,
-Kathleen

kararnmi responded:
Actually on two different occasions I've known a previously potty trained boy to begin suddenly soiling his pants and on both occasions it was the result of sexual abuse. He needs to get examined. If someone has been abusing him he should show signs of tearing around his rectum.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single mom of 3. My daughter is 18, my sons are 5 and 2. I work in the medical field as an radiologic technologist. I am home with my sons duri...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.