Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OCD and SCHOOL
booberryjuice posted:
My 10 y/o has sensory issues and b/c of them has developed OCD. He hand washes to the point of very sore knuckles bleeding(only recently) and head picking, leaving sores on his head-numerous. He almost only does this at school. I spend all week and the weekends trying to antibiotic cream them(from doc) so he doesn't get infections which makes me Paranoid. Recently there has been strep going around at school- a close friends DD had it which he had gotten a flesh-eating bacteria from and lost a finger. This has further freaked me out. I feel like pulling my kid from school and homeschooling him, but he doesn't listen or do much of anything i say-including homework. He IS on meds- but they don't seam to help to stop the obsessions yet.We are working on finding some meds that work- he just doesnt tollerate them well, they seam to make him too wild - with his ADD/ADHD - any thoughts ? has anyone had success with holistic things for OCD? he is being tested at school for a learning disability- but he's pretty smart so i don't think he'll get it. (our school is pretty hard that way) he has : ADD/ADHD-SPD-Anxiety-OCD -- Are there other boards on webmd that i should be on?

momuv4girls responded:
Are you guys working with a Child Psychiatrist? Often times medication for ADD, make OCD behaviors worse - it happened to my daughter.

I understand your frustration!! OCD is based on anxiety, so if your son doesn't qualify for an IEP, he definitely should for a 504 plan. Have you looked into a 504, in case an IEP doesn't happen? There's a lot to learn.....sigh - it can all be SO much work for us parents!

What meds is your son currently on?

-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Name is Norma. I am a working mother of a 7 year old son named A.J. He is the light of my life. I have been blessed with a very handsome son who ha...More

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.