Skip to content
Child's height and weight.
Anon_26978 posted:
What are some of your kids heights and weights? My daughter is 8 years old 7 months and weighs 82lbs and is 4' 5.5" tall. She is wearing a size women's 6 shoe. She wears size 14 shorts and size 12 shirts. She is NOT fat or even pudgy. She has muscle definition in her thighs and her stomach. She wears bikinis during the summer and she doesn't have an inch of fat hanging over, but yet her Dr says he is worried she will become overweight because that's the BMI she falls into. Should I be worried? Her dad is 6'7" and a big guy....She towers over most kids in her class. I just go by the way she looks and to me she does not look overweight. She looks tall and muscular to me. She eats pretty well for being 8...she loves all vegetables and fruits. She has the normal junk food, but for the most part she eats healthy. I just don't know what else to do. I don't want to put her on a "diet"--she doesn't look overweight. I've been stressing about this thinking that the Dr is seeing something I am not. She's an outside kid...she is outside playing from the time she gets up until she goes to bed practically. She loves to go swimming and she goes camping every weekend with her grandparents. She is also in dance class every week. I feel that she gets enough exercise. I think I'm stressing out about this too much and just need to ignore what the Dr says. What are your thoughts?

fcl responded:
The doctor just wants you to keep an eye on her because she's in the BMI bracket for kids who are at risk of getting overweight. That's all. Don't ignore what he said, just be vigilant

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_bmi_results.htm?test=1&gender=2&age=8&months=7&cwt=82&chf=4&chi=5

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been on this board about 3 years. DH and I have one DS, my miracle baby born when I was in my mid-40s. I had a post-partum DVT 2 weeks after hi...More

Helpful Tips

my 6 year old started pooping his pants again
My 6 year old son has started pooping his pants again. his dad and I seperated 2 years ago and he went and stayed with his dad for 3 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.