Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Back Pain in 5-Year-Old
katherinejirges posted:
hi, my 5 year old developed a little bit of a pain in his back right before bed time last night. this morning he told me he felt better, but after sitting on the couch for an hour and trying to get up, he started crying and said it hurt really bad. i looked and felt his back, and there were no apparent problems. i sat him in a recliner and gave him some childrens tylenol. i took his temperature and its 99. hea said it didnt hurt anywhere else, what could it possibly be? growing pains? something more?

GnSwoosh responded:
Where in the back is it? Did he have any recent injuries? Any redness, swelling? Does he vomit? Does it relieve the pain to press gently into his abdomen? Any swelling there? Any discoloration of urine or feces?

katieb426 responded:
I'm certainly no expert, I will share my experience with my 5-year old's back pain. She was getting in to a habit of trying to pick up some of her friends (they would do it mostly during soccer practice) and she ended up with a pretty sore back from it. It took me a while to convince her that was making her back hurt :eyeroll: It could also go hand in hand with growing pains. Is he playing any sports right now? Maybe he's playing a game on the playground at school that's putting extra strain on his back? Not sure about the temp, though.... Maybe others have more ideas!

katherinejirges responded:
he's not vomiting and doesnt have any sores...i've done a little more research and am thinking it might be a bladder infection. i know those are nothing to mess with, so I'm taking him to the doctor as soon as i can. thanks for your input:)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kirsten and I'm a single mom to Katlyn, who is 8, and Belle who is 6. Katlyn has ADHD, OCD and probable Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Belle ...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.