Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Small pee hole?
venessarm posted:
At my kids' last Pedi appointment I asked our doctor about Haidans pee problem(his pee shoots up, no matter how much we hold his penis down) and he told us its looks like the hole is smaller then normal. Its not the hypospadia(sp?) Just the little hole on top. He said usually to correct it he will have to see a urologist(i think thats what he called the dr.) and probably have it cut wider. Has anyone gone through this? If so was it a big ordeal? What was the outcome? I dont want to put Haidan through this but I also dont want him to have issues as he gets older trying to control the urine stream. Its an issue now. We get peed on a lot. But maybe as he gets older and grows he might be able to control how he goes. Am I reaching to high for that?

rj0824 responded:
its not a huge ordeal...I had a friend who had it done on his child. He said that in his case the recovey was just a few days.

miswes4 responded:
It's not that bad! My nephew had to have surgery to correct his when he was 10 months. It didn't take that long to heal we just had to be real careful because he was trying to walk at that time and the doctor didn't want him to fall down.

skyzoemom responded:
My ds had hypospadias and his was corrected at 6 months. He would pee straight up no matter what. His opening was on the side of the head and his scrotum was way to high. He was fine by that night (outpatient procedure). He just had to take it easy the next few days and now sit in his swing or "command center" (exersaucer). He had no pain what so ever. now the scar just looks like part of the wrinkles and he's had no porblems (he's 6 now)

venessarm responded:
The Pedi said it isnt hypospadia. Thats what I thought first but when I asked and he checked he just said the hole was to small. But either way, from all the insight here is sounds like it wont be that big of a deal for him. I was just concerned about his pain and discomfort. Thanks everyone.

Riley29a responded:
Sorry for the late reply. I just read the subject line and had to reply. My DS had this corrected when he was 29 months old. I can't believe for the life of me, I can't remember the actual diagnosis. (Meatal stenosis maybe. I can't remember.) Anyway, DS had his hole enlarged the same time he had his tongue clipped. (Yes, the ENT and urologist worked on him at the same time - penis snip and tongue clip. They had a great laugh that they had never worked together before. :wink: ) We had it done in an outpatient center. Went very well. We happen to be the only ones there at the time and the staff was great. They gave him the gas/oxygen mask they were going to use in the OR before the actual surgery. It was bubble gum flavored. Then thhey gave him a liquid medication to "relax" him. We all got a great laugh. He went willingly with the nurses to the OR and came out of it quickly. He had two stiches in the tip of his penis which disolved after about a week total. He was in no pain for the first few hours afterwards. He was uncomfortable for about the first 24 hours when he urinated, but no other problems. He even went to daycare the next day. (No problems noted there.) We had issues of DS peeing on the floor a LOT. His was to the right. It was worse under pressure. DH also had the same surgery done when he was about 12 months. In our case, maybe it was hereditary. We talked to the urologist about pros and cons. We decided to have the surgery done when we did. We didn't want him to remember the surgery. (He only remembers the "fun" parts of it now.) Your DS may be able to learn to control it. I didn't want DS to get "blamed" for messes at school when he really couldn't help it. Oh, and bonus for us - I rarely have to clean the bathroom floor now! It was definitely worth it. (For me and him feeling bad when he didn't make the potty.) Go talk to the urologist. Weigh the pros and cons with him. Oh, some old urologists will just do the surgery there in their office (hold down the child, etc). Don't do that.

venessarm responded:
Thanks. We will probably do it as long as they knock him out first. I HATE cleaning the floor everyday if he doesnt get us to help him. Its also a pain to constantly having run after him before he goes so we can hold it right. We have had pee EVERYWHERE!! On my mirror, sink, counter, walls, you name it and he has peed on it. I prefer him in my bathroom because if he goes in there without us it gets into the bath tubs mainly and thats much easier to clean! He has an appointment on monday to see his Pedi and he will refer us to a local urologist. We dont have a pediatric urologist by us. The closest one is about 4 hours away so we are going to see if the regular uro doc has worked many children. If we are comfortable we will see him if not we will just make the long drive to the Pediatric one.

Riley29a responded:
We used a regular urologist, too. We didn't have a pedi one in our area either. Hope you get the same great results! (You'll save a fortune in cleaning products!)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Eli, and my husband's name is John. I have a stepson who is 14, who we have for the summer. John and I have 2 children together. Trista...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.