Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Sudden bruising rash around mouth
jewelergirl7 posted:
Has anyone had experience with or know what this might be?

My 8 year old daughter just had a type of rash form around her mouth that I have never seen on anyone before. It happened within the last hour. At first I thought she had blackberry stains on the skin around her mouth, but on closer inspection I see that they are tiny bruises under the skin- formed like a rash. it goes all the way around her lips (about a half inch radius outward)

She has not eaten anything new- however she decided to make orange juice this morning and drank about half a pitcher full or so before I knew about it. She has never had a citrus allergy- or any allergies at all really , and I am not sure if this might be a reaction to too much of the stuff, or is something else.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

babwilson responded:
I just came home from the emergency because my son had the same exact thing you described and the Dr. could not figure out what caused it. His blood test were normal. If you find out more information please post.

5girls1boi responded:
OMG! My 3 year old daughter has the same thing! She has had this one time before, but I thought she had fallen or hit her mouth jumping on the trampoline. But it really does just show up out of the blue! She says that it doesn't hurt or itch, and I also looked inside her mouth and there is nothing there. I don't know if I should take her to the doctor or not because she says that it doesn't hurt? Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

ICANTTHINKUPASCRENNAME responded:
My 3 year old son and 6 year old girl both suddenly have this exact thing, like bruising around the mouth - how long did it take to fade for the other's who have experienced this?

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to ICANTTHINKUPASCRENNAME's response:
Something similar to this occurs when children suck or lick their lips-- they get a symmetric bruisy-looking "rash" extending beyond the pink of their lips, onto their regular skin. Without seeing a photo, I'm not certain, but I suspect that this might be what's going on.

jasonriddle197 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:

My son has this also, today. Take a look, what do you think?

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to jasonriddle197's response:
That's something physical. He either sucked his face into a glass, or is licking, or something like that.

phoenix31674 replied to jasonriddle197's response:
DD sucked her lower jaw into a baby food jar last week and got the same thing. Went away in a couple of days.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to phoenix31674's response:
Exactly. See the sharp line at the bottom of the red/purple area? "Natural" things rarely make sharp lines like that, so if you see a "rash" with that kind of pattern, think about something external or something physical that happened. Good "rule of thumb."

jasonriddle197 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
That makes sense, he was sucking his mouth into a plastic easter egg sheel, you know the plastic ones with the toys? I didnt put two and two togeather. Thanks for the help

kellylloyd replied to jasonriddle197's response:
what did you do? how long did it take to go away?

lettykp replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
my daughter has it also,she is 14 years old, I have been asking her about if she was licking or playing with a glass and she says no....I went to the doctor, he couldn't explain it ....now we are planing to go with a dermatologist....I'm really worry about it

lettykp replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
I forgot to tell u, this happen last summer and she still has it ...some days it is darker than others...it doesn't hurt

kanna01 replied to lettykp's response:
Hey hav u ever solved wats wrong wit daughter cuz got da exact problem n find out wat it is

Jeansmad replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
I know this conversation was started a year ago...but my son developed the same rash out of the blue last night. He was just sitting, watching TV, so I know he wasn't "licking or sucking" anything and has not eaten anything new. (OH, if only I could get him to do this...anyway, that a whole nuther topic)! It was still there this morning. He said it does not itch or hurt. He's 11 yrs old and has never had anything like this before. Any suggestions?

Helpful Tips

Son Peeing
I have a suggestion for the parents with the boy that is peeing in the house. Maybe he needs the "freedom" of peeing. I would let him go ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.