Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
8 year old son with high ck level
hyltonk posted:
Dr. P

My son became ill March 2007 with a normal sore throat and ran a fever of 103 for several hours (on a Monday) before it broke but this is the norm with him while sick. Then on Wednesday he returned to school and that evening started complaining with his legs (both) hurting in the calf muscle area and this came to a point that he could not walk by late evening. My husband and I took him to the doctor that morning and said that it was malgia (sorry for the spelling) and ordered blood test for him. His blood work came back ok except for the ck level was 1239 and the doctor said that was the reason why his legs were hurting and he just needed some fluids. The doctor put him in the hospital for overnight to IV fluids and by the late evening he was able to walk a little better. The next day new blood work was done and it showed his ck level being at 1337, even higher than before he was put into the hospital but he was still able to walk at this point.

My question is: what exactly is the ck level and was what does it mean and what is the norm for children.

Dr__Parker responded:
When muscle is inflamed or damaged for some reason, an enzyme in the muscle cells (called creatine phosphokinase CPK or creatine kinase - CK) is extruded into the blood, where the levels are then raised.

If it is an acute problem (as with an infection), eventually the inflammation stops and the levels creep back down into the normal range.

cincyfan responded:
Dr. Parker,

I had a son with the same condition as described above. He was taken to the ER in March 2008 and we took him back to the doctor June 2008. The lab test that were done still comes back normal except for elevated CK levels still. My wife and I are concerned because he was a child that would have lots of energy and now he goes and plays then comes in after awhile because he says he is tired. Can Myocitosis (orginal diagnosis) have relapse or does it take some time to level out to normal range.

stoma responded:
same with my son. this is the 3rd time. always when we travel. we are looking into mitochondrial diseases.

MichMouratidis replied to Dr__Parker's response:
Hi Dr. Parker,

I'm not sure if you're still checking this site, but as above I just came home from the ER with my 9 yr old son who has an elevated CK level of 1521 after 60 hrs of high fever (101 the lowest to 104.5) the highest. When the fever finally broke I sent him back to school after one more day of rest. Then came the leg pains from knee down bilaterally. To the point where he was crying in the schoolyard during recess from the pain. He had to come home from school and I took him to the ER.

Where I'm concerned is that they did NOT give him an IV. If IV fluids is the solution to getting him on the road to recovery, why would I be sent home with Tylenol and Advil for the pain and come back on Monday to re-do blood work instead of him being kept even for a few hrs on IV to rehydrate him. Is it because all of his other electrolytes were in normal range and urine was fine?

If yes, what is my plan of action now? He is still in pain, still not at school today and I'm assuming all I can do is Pedialyte to rehydrate more?

My son plays hockey as well and would love to go back soon, but I feel without the IV this could be a dragged out recovery.

What is your opinion? Thank you.

An_221799 replied to MichMouratidis's response:
I'm sorry to inform you that Dr. Parker passed away ... We all miss him a lot.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to An_221799's response:
I'm sorry to hear about Dr. Parker-- I'm new here, and never interacted with him, but I've liked the answers I've seen of his scattered around, and I felt like I was getting to know him.

RE: CK: IV fluids aren't essential, and won't speed recovery-- they're only needed if the child is dehydrated and/or unable to continue taking fluids. A sky-high CK might require IV fluids to protect the kidneys, but not a level in the 1000's or 2000's.

5 days of high fever, followed by lower leg pains and elevated CK, was almost certainly influenza. Push the oral fluids, and let him rest until he feels better-- that will be soon. Go to the ER if his urine becomes very dark if he is pain is increasing. Best of luck!

melisawoosley replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
What re CK levels? I made a post a little while ago pretty much begging for answers.My 3 year old has been sick for 3 weeks. He had elevated white blood cells count (i think showing infection) and he had a fever of 105. He is having chronic symptoms since that night and he had a seizure that night. His urine has been pretty dark and he is now coughing like he has pneumonia My poor kid is so sick

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to melisawoosley's response:
Hi Melisawoosley,

If you are concerned for your child, please go to the nearest ER or children's hospital and request to have him re-examined. It is difficult for anyone who doesn't know your son's history to give a better answer.

Please keep us updated,

Lainey

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to melisawoosley's response:
Hi Melisawooley,

All WebMD experts give of their own time to respond to questions. Please be patient, and understand that no message board, with its delay in response time, is a substitute for a child's doctor, or emergency room.

Lainey

MiBoy responded:
hyltonk -
I could have written this myself! My 8 year old son had a sore throat with 103 fever for a few days. Then when I thought he was getting better he complained about his calves hurting and by the end of the day he could not even stand! His ck level was 1400.

What was your son's final diagnosis? And how is he today?

francur211 replied to MiBoy's response:
My son is 8 and got a viral infection called rhabdomytosis. All from influenza B and his CK was 8900. I've read your post. I'm worried. In 14 & 1/2 later, it fell only 15pt to 8885. What is about to happen....

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.